Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

rear suspension

I have 2 914s. one of them with much more sporty rims. i changed the sporty one over to the car im restoring on the most part. the problem is that they are a wider wheel than the stock wheels. in the front they were fine but in the rear the tire touches the rear panel. my question is if anyone has any ideas or knows how to fix this problem? i was wondering if the car can get a little body lift or possibaly new springs. i would greatly appreciate any ideas out there. thank you.

nate
Old 04-14-2006, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

If the outside of the tire touches the fender, I believe you can "roll" the fender by using a baseball bat between the tire and fender to gently push it out more. Try doing a search here for more info.

Last edited by nine_one_4; 04-19-2006 at 11:38 AM..
Old 04-14-2006, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

check your swing with regards to the bat. post a picture of the "sporty" wheels. if they are aftermarket with the wrong backspacing, it's INSANE to do body mods (damage) that will cost a ton to undo. you get 0 do overs once you start. the tires you can run on a STOCK bodied 914, are entirely dependant on the wheels.

k
Old 04-15-2006, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

can you take a picture of the "sporty" rims???

I hope they aren't riv's (yuck, hahaha)
Old 04-17-2006, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

sorry im new at this. how do i post the picture?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
A couple of different ways. If the picture already exists somewhere out on the Interwebthingy, you can use the "Adding Images" section of this page.

If the photo is not already on the 'net, but is on your computer, you can upload it onto the Pelican BBS software. If you click "Add Reply", in the lower-right corner of the message window, it will take you to a separate page where you can type in a reply. (As opposed to the "quick reply" text etry pane which is at the bottom middle of this page.) Below the text entry pane of the "Add Reply" page, you will see a link that reads "Click here to Upload a Photo..."

Click that, and it will let you browse your hard drive for a photo and upload it. Depending on your particular net connection and the size of the file, it may take a while to load. Smaller pictures with higher compression (e.g., JPEG instead of BMP) will load faster.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-17-2006, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

ok i hope this turns out. i cant tell if a photo is attached but i went through the process.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

ok sorry that last email was a screwup. i think i got it this time. shows you how good of a computer geek i am doesnt it.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

Both of your 914s have five-lug wheels? Those wheels look really familiar but I can't remember where I've seen them. I'm pretty sure it was a German car.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

no the five lug is only on the car im using as a part car. the one im restoring is a 4 lug.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Banned

They look like they're from an older BMW. Why do you want to use those particular wheels?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

i want to use those wheels because they lood so much more sporty. in my opinion the stock wheels are kind of a boring look and dont give the car the greatest look.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

those are "different".....they look like the wrong bolt pattern...are they really 5x130 or are you using adapters. If adapters, there is your problem right there since they add at least an inch.

The size and offset might be cast into the back of the wheel, look for something that says 40ET or 30ET or something like that. If all else fails, just take a straightedge and measure from outside of the rim to the hub (backspacing)

A body lift or taller springs??? Fine if you have a 4X4 truck...that is not the proper way to fix things. Your choices are get the correct fitting rims, or pull/modify the rear fenders.

Normally on a stock fendered 914, the rear is the tricky end, I am running 7" wide rims with 205's under bone stock fenders, but my rims have a 35mm offset.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Somebody sell him some FUCHS quick.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

i would def not roll the wheelwell lips for those wheels. i'd run repainted stock steel wheels with nice chrome hub caps first. but each to their own.

k
Old 04-19-2006, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

yeah i talked to someone today in town here and he said there not going to work. im kind of thinking now that i might just sale them. if i have to and it will make me a better return ill just do it piece by piece. do you have any advice for me on that.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Who did you talk to? Do they know what they're talking about? (And how do you know?)

If they have the right bolt pattern, and an appropriate amount of backspacing, they should work just fine. The common five-lug pattern is 5x130mm (five bolts on a 130mm diameter circle), and 914s prefer 4.5" to 5" of backspacing to fit decent-size tires under stock-ish fenders.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-19-2006, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: