Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3rd gear

ok i just replaced my linkage bushings like a month ago and now 3rd gear is hard to find again and i think 2nd is begining to have problems, the shift coupler bushings are fine, the firewall bushing is fine the rear bushing at the tranny is a little looser than i remember but it isn't broken.. i checked it it looks ok but for some reason there is som play there.. would that be the problem, or could it be something in the tranny having problems??
Old 04-19-2006, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Did you use new cone screws or blue loctite on them if you re-used them?
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 04-19-2006, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
First suspect is the linkage. Have someone wiggle the gear shift while the car is in 2nd or 3rd gear. Look for movement--you want as little as possible.

Bushings are cheap and easy to replace. They may not be the problem, but you don't lose much checking or even changing them. Ditto transmission fluid--it's not that expensive and it doesn't take long to change. It often won't help these kinds of problem, but if it does you're well ahead of the game. And if it doesn't, you haven't lost much.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-19-2006, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

i used new cone screws, it feels like all of the play is at the back, i might be running low on tranny fluid though, it has a leek in the linkage part on on the trany, i'm pretty sure that bushing is bad, but i didn't have a press when i changed the linkage bushings, could being low on fluid really make the gears hard to find. not hard to put in but hard to find, i try to shift into 3 and end up in fifth?? but it is hard to get in sometimes.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
when mine was doing that with 2nd and 4th, it went away when I replaced the shift coupler bushings, which connect the front part to the rear, the problem went away. Get some blue loctite or new screws if you have to take it back apart, those nylon inserts on the screws are only good one time.

Perhaps the shift coupler bushings only seem okay
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 04-20-2006, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

well the thing is they are only about a month old, and i took the boot off and they are fine, no play at all. all the play is at the very back
Old 04-20-2006, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Groucho Marxist

Garage
Well they would not go bad in a month, got me???stumped without looking at it.
Milton Friedman
Old 04-20-2006, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You have play at the back of the linkage? Check to see what parts the play is between.

If it's between the shift rod head and the shift rod, then you need a new cone screw or the shift rod or rod head need help--as in, "more metal in place".

If the play is between the side-shift console and the shift rod, then your "castellated bushing" needs help. You may need to glue it into place, or something similar, to keep it from slopping around in the hole in the console. Or the play may be between that bushing and the shift rod--in which case, you can try building up the bushing more (some have used a tie wrap I think?) or turn down the rod and sleeve it.

If the play is between the shift rod head and the part that goes into the transmission, then suspect your cup bushing. Even if it's new. I've had new(ish) ones fail on me. They can also fail without looking broken.

--DD

Old 04-20-2006, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

i found the problem, it wasn't what or where i thought, it was a cone screw, but at the shift coupler... hahah i checked the shift couple bushings the other day but i guess i didn't check the cone screw... question though, what would cause it to pul out?? when i changes the shift coupler bushings last time i filled the boot with grease, as to keep the bushing from drying out and cracking, was that not a good idea??? mabey why the cone screw pulled out so quick??
Old 04-20-2006, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
New cone screws should have a plastic "nub" on the side in the middle of the threaded part. This should serve as a way to lock the screw in. You can use Loctite if you prefer, just make sure everything is nice and clean before you put the Loctite on!!

I wouldn't fill the boot with grease; it will just get everything dirty. Lube the moving parts and call it good. Maybe a little more grease on the end of the front shift rod where it has slid through the coupler, just to prevent rust from getting a toe-hold.

--DD

Old 04-20-2006, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

the cone screw did have that plastic, and it tightened down well when i first installed it. so far the grease hasn't gone anywhere, it is really thick, and the boot fits well enough it was still clean. if it pulls out again, i'll by a new cone screw
Old 04-20-2006, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
If it backed out once, it will back out again unless you blue loctite it or use a new screw. You can lay a piece of fishing line across the threads of a nut to make it sort of like one of those nylon insert lock nuts, don't think that would work with a cone screw though, unless you went parallel to the thread sinstead of across them maybe, I need to check mine. I did not use much grease, figured thouse black coupler bushings have some graphite in them, and it would stay cleaner. More important is the boot, hooking to the firewall, IMHO, trick for that over at the club
Milton Friedman
Old 04-22-2006, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: