Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Is this a 2 litre 914 engine or what?

The seller has just informed me that the engine serial no. is G10827. Doesnt sound right for a 2 litre,I will ask him about the 3 bolt heads and the location of the eng. no. It is a car built in 1972, vin no.4732920753.Any further advice is appreciated?
Geoff
Old 04-19-2006, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The engine number is not complete. Should be "GA" for a 73 or 74 US-spec 2.0 motor. ("GB" would be a European motor--vanishingly unlikely--and "GC" would be a 75-76 2.0 motor. "GE" is a bus motor, and there are other G-code Bus engines I think as well.) Ask about the heads; they are one of the most expensive parts of the engine, so they are a pretty decent indicator of what the engine "really" is. Or if he has a picture, you can post the pic and get our opinions.

If it has the stock EFI on it, the throttle body will be vertical and sit on top of the manifold. I believe that all other Type IV EFIs had horizontal throttle bodies that lay next to the manifold.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-19-2006, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Dave,
Just called the owner,he is sure it is a 2 litre,I asked about the 3 bolt head arrangement.He said yes,then the throttle body being vertical,yes,and the fuel pump being separate from the motor,yes! He seems like he is hands on.Owner spoke to Auto Atlanta,George I think who suggested that as its a 1972 year car with a 1973 vin no. the engine no.doesnt follow the accepted pattern which was established later.Eng. no.G108287.VIN No.473290753 Car built mid '72!
Old 04-19-2006, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

P.S. He said he will send pictures!
Old 04-19-2006, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Model year production starts in August of the previous year. Both my current and previous 74s were built in 10/73, as was a buddy's 74. Roughly the first 1/4 of the 73 model year cars were built in late 72. I would be very surprised to see a different numbering pattern on the engine, but I continue being surprised by these cars...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-19-2006, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: