Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How to price my car?!

OK. So the time has come. I must say goodbye to my beloved restoration to free up some much needed cash.

I guess everyone hopes at some point that when this time arrives he/she'll get out what went into the car. Well..... I was born at night, just not last night. I realize that the car does have a market value, and that market value does necessarily match up with the 'investment' in parts and supplies - let alone time invested.

My question to the forum is: What would be your educated, expert opinion of the value of my prize possession?

Here is the updated link to my website documenting some of the restoration. Basically, it is a 1972 914-4 with a 1974 2.0 FI engine. ALL attempts were made to keep the vehicle in stock configuration. (Not necessarily 1972 stock, but nothing has been added to the car outside of what was offered from 1972-1974.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

rbroglie@satx.rr.com
http://home.satx.rr.com/broglie914/
'72 Summer Yellow 914-4
'74 2.0L Djet powerplant

Last edited by broglie; 04-24-2006 at 09:06 PM..
Old 04-24-2006, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Three weeks ago I purchased a restored 71 with a 2.0. The body only has 3 tiny rust bubbles and that is it. The motor had 23K on the rebuild with Webbers. The interior is perfect and the car, other than the outside of the motor, is super clean. I paid $7300. Good luck with your sale
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 04-24-2006, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
here are a couple of pics
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 04-24-2006, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Nice car Rick! Thanks for the help.

rbroglie@satx.rr.com
http://home.satx.rr.com/broglie914/
'72 Summer Yellow 914-4
'74 2.0L Djet powerplant
Old 04-25-2006, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you get offered $10k take it!
Old 05-02-2006, 01:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
I got confused when I first posted, I thought Rick's car (silver) was Ryan's, until I went to his web site....

Ryan, after what you did to that car, I wouldn't take less than $20K for it. It's essentially new - probably better than new. Where can you get a new car for $20K that's as fun, unique, and practical as a 914? You can't. Even a Boxster isn't as practical as a 914.

You just need the right buyer. If I hadn't just started a major rebuild on my car, I might have bought yours. I'm sure there's someone else out there who wants a car as perfect as yours.

Last edited by pbanders; 05-03-2006 at 02:15 PM..
Old 05-03-2006, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

What Brad said... It's a new car, compleatly rebuilt...20K min, but if it was mine and I was selling I'd be looking for 30
Old 05-10-2006, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I wish that this kind of work would bring 20K to 30K, but I don't think that the market would support those numbers. A stock 4 that's never had rust or damage repair, in the original color (repainted)with the right engine and tranny for the year might bring 20K but not very quickly. I was astounded when I went through your site and saw where you started with this car, but some of the required work does impact it's collectable value.

Your car is beautiful, and I would hope that you could get into the mid 10's, it certainly deserves it.

edit: should have been typed "mid teen's", that's what I meant.

Last edited by Eric 914; 05-11-2006 at 02:06 PM..
Old 05-11-2006, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

My sniff is between 13K and 18K

If you are willing to market your car all over the internet and wait.

You will get the highest dollar.

Sometime you get lucky and the right concourse oriented buyer will show up and buy it immediatly. For the higher dollar.

Since you car was built about two years ago. Is it still in the same pristine condition that it was when restored??

AS that will also have a reflection on the pricing.

The only down side for the true concourse buyer is all the metal replacement you have done.

If the quality of the metal replacement work is perfect.
And ONLY PERFECT.

It will then have minimal impact on the pricing.

By the way.
You picked a good time to sell your exceptional clean 914.

Apparently there are buyers out there that WILL pay big dollars for pristine 914s. And they are looking right now.

Thats my .02 worth.

Regards,
Twystd1
Old 05-11-2006, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I stand corrected Ryan.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: