Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to bodyman
Need Help Identifying This car

I purchased a 1974 2.0 as my new project. On my search for parts I came across this car in a field. This is a 1973. There is no motor or trans But The thing that threw me is The front and rear of the car. I own a custom Body and paint shop, and I examined this car completely with My pro Bodyman. These front and rear Roll pans are factory. The factory color was green, But at some point has had a red repaint. The paint is peeling on the fron and rear and there is the factory green Underneath. This car has all factory welds and no patch in panels all solid metal, Full seam sealer on the front and rear with original paint in tact. I have searched all the forums i can find and I have not seen any other 914s like this. The owner I purchased the car from said it was a Le mans edition? I took it to the Porsche Mechanic and they also verified that the metal work is factory. It is also side marker and antenna delete. I would just like to find out some history. any suggestions?
here are some detailed pics

Old 04-26-2006, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

more pics

Old 04-26-2006, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Old 04-26-2006, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

LeMans addition

I don't think it is a factory car. One way to verify would be to send the VIN # to Porsche, pay the $$ and have them send you a COA or Birth Certificate. It will tell you everything about the car the way it came originally from the factory.
It appears to be a very good roll pan on the front and back of the car that was done in metal.
CAMP 914
Old 04-26-2006, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Agreed with Craig. The pic looking into the turn signal hole, you can see the recess that made room for the bumper--it has the stock contour and everything.

Someone took their time and did a super-clean job on it--but I'd bet that "someone" wasn't at the factory.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-26-2006, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You can also see the hole for the upper bumper bolts in the rear trunk photo.
Plus the weld on the headlight eyebrows is not factory.
CCL
Old 04-26-2006, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

So I guess it would be allright to Cut the front and rear of this car and use on my 74 2.0 .. I just didnt want to cut up something I dint know the history on. I like the look better then the Bumpers, and I have never seen another 914 like this so It would make a nice finished car. here are some pics of my 74 2.0 that I just got. I plan on a full resto. Its not in bad shape. the surface rust will be dealt with and the small amount of rust in the trunk area will be cut out and replaced with new metal.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

For resale you might have better luck with restoring the black car, and leaving th ebumpers in place. Then go back to the LeMans addition and add new metal and restore it also.
The black car looks to good to cutup.
JKust my opinion.
CAMP 914
Old 04-26-2006, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: