Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 Rear Suspension

i recently purchased new bilstein shocks with new 100lb springs to correct sag and improve handling- any suggestions on where to set the lower spring perches and what effects the different setting s have on handling and ride height
Old 05-02-2006, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I hope that someone will chime in on this question.

I recently installed new springs and Bilsteins on my old BMW 528e and I too had no idea where to set the spring perches - as the old shocks were stock boges and were not adjustable.

I ended up setting the perches at their highest point and it raised the rear of the car by a couple of inches (the old springs were tired and sagged a lot).

I may re-adjust and set to the middle level as I feel that the car is a little bouncy and I'm wondering if setting the perch at the highest level causes the springs to be a little too stiff since they are compressed more than they would be if set at the lowest level.

I'm anxious to here from one of the 914 experts.

I have Koni's on my 914 and they are set to the lowest level which, I feel, looks the best on my 914.

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 05-09-2006, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I suggest setting it where you like it. You can use the torsion bar adjusters to change the front ride height, so you can get the car as even as you like (or nose-down, or even nose-up if you prefer).

I would probably start in the middle and see how I liked the looks. Remember to bounce the car on its suspension and roll it back and forth to settle things, and remember that the car may settle a little bit more after you drive it.

If at any time the car is sitting you find the trailing arms slant upward from the pivot to the wheel, you've gone too low. Ditto if the A-arms slant upward from the pivot to the wheel end. Even having them all parallel is on the low side.

Lowering the car will give you more negative camber, and will change the toe angle very slightly in the rear. I think it changes it more in the front. I forget the direction of change--I believe you get a little more toe-in at the back, though I am far from certain. Negative camber and a lower CG will help the grip of the car going around corners, up to a point. (With most radial tires, that point is well beyond where you'll get to by lowering--e.g., 3 degrees of negative camber or so.)

You'll find that the inside edges of the tires will wear if you get over about a degree of negative camber, most especially if you have any toe-out at all. If you drive aggressively, though, this can help even out that outside-edge wear you get when pushing the car hard.

Toe-out can make the car "twitchy" (front toe-out) but improves turn-in. Rear toe-out makes the car like to swap ends for no reason at all...

Try a rear height setting, then look at the car. If you think it's the wrong height, change it. When you've got something you like, set the front so you like it relative to the back. Once you like the way the car sits, go get an alignment.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-09-2006, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tidybuoy
I'm wondering if setting the perch at the highest level causes the springs to be a little too stiff since they are compressed more than they would be if set at the lowest level.
Vern [/B]
HUH???

it makes no differance where the springs are adjusted to ...the weight of the car is still going to be same....sure it'll affect corner balancing, but that is not something everyone does nor do they care about it....

it takes a few minutes to change the hieght per shock, set it at the middle and go from there........
Old 05-09-2006, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Spring rate is linear for all the springs except the 165lb progressives..

No matter how much compression is on the spring, it takes another 100lbs to compress it another inch... On a 100lb spring.

Just an add on to mikes post.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Several years ago I changed the original springs, which I think had sagged over the years, with 100 lb Weltmeister springs. These were mounted on Koni reds with fixed stock spring perches. The rear of the car sat 1" to 1.5" higher with the 100 lb springs and actually looked a bit high to me. I would try a lower spring perch setting if your shocks offer a choice.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: