Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Temp too high

I have a problem with the oil temp getting too high on my 1976 2.0 914. I have a new oil temp dipstick and it reads 270 degrees after running the car about 30 minutes or so at 60 mph or so.. It had a new oil cooler installed about 2 months ago. I'm concerned it will ruin the engine if I continue to drive it. Any suggestions as to what I should do? It has abslolutely no oil leaks.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

How long since a good tune up? Timing alone can affect temps. If it's been a while, I recommend a tune up and valve adjustment so you have a good baseline.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

How accurate is the dipstick? Is it contacting any metal parts? What does the stock oil temperature guage read?

If the stock guage isn't pegging out and if you're not smelling a burnt smell from the engine, you're 99.9% certain to be just fine.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 05-09-2006, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

AaronM.. I checked the dipstick tonight and the insulator that keeps it tight in the dipstick hole is missing and there is metal to metal contact. I have no idea what happened to it. The stock temp guage is not getting in the red but it is hotter than it should be. The oil doesn't smell burned.

Thanks to both of you for your info.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm having a similar problem. Any other resaons for high oil temps? Is it possible to check the position of the cooling flaps without pulling the engine tin?
82 VW Rabbit
Old 05-11-2006, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: