Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Webers/Tuning?

I am posting this message for my brother that has a '71 1.7 that he just put rebuilt Weber 40IDF's on. In addition to the Webers, he also replaced the stock FI distributor with a Bosch 009. His questions are primarily directed at tuning the engine. Does anyone have some knowledge and/or experience with what jets to use, timing and dwell? How much different will the settings be from the stock fuel injection settings? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-23-1998, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Just trying to give my brother another shot at the top of the list to get his questions answered.
Old 08-27-1998, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
For jets, tubes, and all that "black magic" stuff, no idea. I've heard people throw around numbers and letters for 2.0s, but I haven't paid much attention, and I don't remember anyone talking about 1.7 jet/tube/etc. sizes.

Dwell: Stock.

Timing: Try the stock method first. 27 degrees BTDC at 3500 RPM. I don't know what the advance curve on a 009 is, but I'd guess that it is all-in by then. Check at a higher RPM to see if the timing mark moves.

If I remember correctly, the 009 doesn't have as much total advance as the stock distributor, so your static timing will be more advanced. If this gives you any problems at idle or off-idle, you can try retarding the timing a couple of degrees at a time. Obviously a timing light with the built-in advance dial will help a lot with that.

One or two people on the 914 mailing lists have mentioned that the 050 or 022 distributors are preferred to the 009 for carb set-ups. No mention of why. Nobody has disagreed with them, but there hasn't been any big rush of agreement either.

--DD
Old 08-27-1998, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: