Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Back at the car BUT the Dam SIX won't start

After a long break from the SIX (due to a move and honey due-list) I decided to get back at it and drive the 914 to work tomorrow.

Tried to start my SIX last night and I think I flooded the engine.. I am running crane 3000 with optical pick-up.
It started fine (well as good as it does with the webers). As I was working the pedal to keep the car running I got called back to the house and had to stop the engine.

Came back out 15mins later and it didn't want to start.. I finally got it started by pressing (pump) the pedal as FAST as I could. BUT it would only bog to a weak idle and some pinging could be heard??? Took alot of cranking to get it to run. The battery cable (-) was VERY HOT from me cranking the starter... Not good.

The fuel pressure is 3psi just before the "Y" to the carbs.

I am wondering if I fouled out some plugs? or ? Will a fouled plug become unfouled by just sitting over night?

The GAS is low in the tank but is above the intake screen ( I looked) I will be picking up some dry-ice stuff on the way home from work to see if that helps. The gas is about 6 months old.

914-6 in the Werks
Old 05-11-2006, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Put some more gas in it and spray some ether in the intakes while
cranking....

BTW....check timing
Old 05-11-2006, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks I'll pick up some of that nasty stuff to spray in there.. I was going to fill it up once I got it started.. Figures

I'll need to fill it up more..2 1/2 gallons at a time.

914-6 in the Werks
Old 05-11-2006, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Didn't fire..

Pulled the plugs and they are all wet.. No fire at all. I have BOSCH W5DC. and the engine is a 2,2T

914-6 in the Werks
Old 05-11-2006, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
SanDiegoDon

Do you still have the relay board in the engine compartment? Are you still running ignition thru the relay board?

Couple years ago I went thru something like what you're describing. One time it would run, next time it wouldn't. I replaced the complete ignition system, wires, dist, ignition module, harness, coil. Always had voltage everywhere I was supposed too.

Anyway, long story short. Relay board. The pins and busses in the relay board are NOT soldered together, it is all a mechanical press fit between them. The pin for the ignition module was loose, it would pass voltage but not enough amps to power the module.

To check it, wiggle, pull, on harness. If she fires, starts to fire that might be the problem.

To fix it you have to remove that goop on the bottom of the relay board to expose the pin and buss joints. Clean real good and solder joints.

That's what I found, haven't had a problem since. Hope that helps.

Later, Don
Old 05-11-2006, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Relay board is gone.. I was checking the plugs and got one hell-of-a shock .. I think I am getting juice to the plugs..

I might get some NGK's tomorrow.. Any thoughts on a plug number?

914-6 in the Werks
Old 05-11-2006, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

New plugs and she fired right up. tuned the timing by ear and it starts better... I never like the way it ran timed with a gun Not sure why but by ear seems to give better performance.

CHeers

914-6 in the Werks
Old 05-12-2006, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: