Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Idle at 4,500 - 5,000 RPM *YIKES*

OK, So I got my fuel pressure and pump situation solved.

After a quick priming car started right up... but immediately ran up to 5K RPMs. Checked a few things - unplugged CSV, TPS, idle screw, tried again same result.

I know that I must have some vacuum line in the wrong place etc. I will try to address that issue tonight.

Anybody have anything else that may be causing this?

Here's what is know to be good (short list)

MPS - rebuilt and tested by Goeff - OK

TPS - injectors click when power is on all through the range

Fuel - correct fuel pressure, new lines and filter. new gas

Injectors - new seals - old injectors - visual inspection doing their job apparently.

Vacuum lines - all new but probably not in all the right places. DAPO pulled every line and I am having trouble figuring out where they all go (YES I looked at the schematic pretty much worthless).

Well there it is. 73 1.7L all stock. Man I know I am getting close... this is really killing me being so lost. I have read up on Brad Ander site as well as the sight here but with so many things that it could be I am lost.

Thanks for the help guys (really sucks to have problems when the club site is down)

If you are seeing this then 914club.com is down again
Old 05-11-2006, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Look for something big in the vacuum system that is completely disconnected. Also look for anything that goes from "upstream" of the throttle body (e.g., from the air cleaner or the boot between there and the throttle) to the manifold. You should not have any hoses that go straight into the manifold from "upstream" of the throttle body!! There should always be some sort of "component" in the way--like a decel valve, or an aux air regulator, etc.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-11-2006, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks DD. Will check all hoses and report tonight

Old 05-11-2006, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

OK guys just goes to prove how dependent the D-jet is on the correct vacuum.

I used a combination of the haynes manual the bosch d-jet book and several other sources and came up with the (I think) correct connections for the vacuum hoses.

I am missing a "t" for the MPS vacuum hose connection to the airbox (the other hose goes to the air filter housing) but it is running well. Normal idle... powers up well.

If anyone has that rubber "t" I would really like to install it correctly to take a picture for future owners who have problems. I am also going to cut and measure the hose diameters and lengths to make a schematic for the 1.7L.

I am relieved that the engine is finally running after eight years of silence and running well at that!

Thanks to all.. huge thanks to DD...as usual

Old 05-11-2006, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You can find most sized tees at places such as Pep Boys or Napa. I am sure if the original one is still available but I made our connections from parts from Napa.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Originally posted by tdgray
I am missing a "t" for the MPS vacuum hose connection to the airbox (the other hose goes to the air filter housing) ...
That doesn't sound right. There should not be a direct path from the MPS to the air cleaner. Nor should there be a direct path from the manifold to the air cleaner.

You need a T, so I assume you have an "extra" hose you need to plug in somewhere. What does that hose go to??

--DD

Old 05-11-2006, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Dave, of course I am assuming that I am reading the haynes manuals hose diagram correctly.

It looks as if there is a little "t" or maybe a "y" that comes off the port where the MPS hose plugs into the airbox. There is another hose that comes off this "t" or "y" that is supposed to go to the air filter housing. Maybe not... but it sure appears as such.

I think I recall seeing a similar little fitting in the box of parts that came with the car. I also remember that it was a piece of crap and I might have thrown it away.

Seems to run fine without it but just wanted to make it like it should be.

Thanks again Dave.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
OK, I checked the diagram. There is apparently some component on the underside of the air cleaner there. I don't know what it does, though. I don't remember it from the 1.7s I was messing with.

It could be from the VW application the diagram was lifted from.

--DD

Old 05-12-2006, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I would call George at Auto Atlanta, he has all of them.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: