Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Clean paint before painting

What are you guys using to clean the paint before painting? I'm specifically looking for something to clean underneath the fenderwells, behind the bumpers and in the trunk floors. There's alot of road grime that is almost 'baked on'. Currently the only way I've found to completely remove it is to remove the paint, using aircraft stripper.

-- Rob
Old 05-11-2006, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Pressure washer.
84 930, 3.5L
Old 05-11-2006, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
go to one of those self serve car washes, no mess to clean up afterwards. And you can get newcar scent for it too

Currently Porsche-less.....
Old 05-11-2006, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have found what I believe is the simplest and most time preserving way to acomplish this task.
Pay someone else to do it.....

Twystd1
Old 05-11-2006, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the recommendations guys, but I forgot to mentioned that the pressure washing was the first thing I tried, with out the results expected. Unless someone knows a less corrosive solution than the aircraft stripper, I guess that's what I'll use...

-- Rob
Old 05-11-2006, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
nylon wheel, or wire cup brush?

Currently Porsche-less.....
Old 05-11-2006, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Tonyakavw Send a message via AIM to Tonyakavw
If it is truly caked on then you need a combination of aggressive solvents, and mechanical agitation. I've found that Castrol Super Clean and a stiff wire brush work well. If its too hard for a wire brush, then chisel away at it with a scredriver or something. I had a transmission where the gunk had petrified and the only way to get it off was chiselling it off.

Brake cleaner works well too.

I just recently prepped my engine bay for paint. There was a lot of oil and gunk, but it wasn't baked on. except for a couple spots. I used Super Clean and it came out nicely. I also sanded it down to bare metal in many places, and in the other places, just down to primer. I probably spent 20 hours on the prep work alone.

-Tony
Old 05-11-2006, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

2nd on the Castrol Super Cleaner. I use it all the time on 914s. Spray on and leave for about 10 minutes then I would come back with a strong spray and brush. If that doe's not satisfy you then spray and then use a pressure washer.
If you are still not satisfied check your local CL or phone book for a soda blaster, some will have a portable setup.
CCL
Old 05-11-2006, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: