Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thumbs up I Can't Believe the Difference That Made

Its unbelievable! Yeah, pretty excited about how much better my car drives/shifts/excelerates after replacing the tranny mounts. Took the advice of many of you here and I'm much happier for it now. I bought those sport mounts and shift bushing kit here on PP. Haven't replace the shift bushings yet, can't imagine it being much better.

Thanks Doods!
Kev
Old 05-13-2006, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

How bad were your tranny mounts? I'm trying to figure out if mine need replacing as well.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

the shift bushings should make a considerable difference if your existing ones are worn
congrats
Old 05-13-2006, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
YES HAMMY..
when I took out your mounts, do you remember what I said?

"Oh wow, you need new trani mounts"

those were shot...

Buy the 911 sport mounts, have a drill ready to "help" the installation... I'll help if you need it.. but you NEED to buy them.

Andrew
Old 05-13-2006, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
We're hear to help.....
Old 05-13-2006, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Andyrew
YES HAMMY..

those were shot...

Buy the 911 sport mounts, have a drill ready to "help" the installation... I'll help if you need it.. but you NEED to buy them.

Andrew
Alright.
Thanks
Old 05-13-2006, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jim912928
You'll be even more amazed when you get the shift bushings in. Think how worn they probably are with all the slop you must have had with the bad tranny mounts. I replaced mine and couldn't believe the difference (shift bushings I mean).
58 Triumph TR3A
07 Harley Night Rod Special, 08 buell 1125R, 08 Harley CVO Springer, 09 Harley Iron
Old 05-13-2006, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I just did this to my car. My tranny mounts were cracked but you could not tell by looking at them in the car. I noticed that when I jacked up the car from the tranny there would be about 1/4 inch of movement.

I replaced the mounts with 911 sport mounts. 4th and 5th gear where not only difficult to shift but the shifter used to rattle around a lot when accelerating.

I also replace every bushing in the shift rod but the tranny mounts made a big difference with 4th and 5th. I love the way the car shifts now...

Incidentally I do notice a bit less sound and vibration isolation with the new mounts, glad I did not go for the solid mounts.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Smile

You can't tell by looking at the mounts that they are cracked. When I pulled them out, sure enough; they were trashed. Before I replaced them, it was tough getting into 1st or reverse and the shifter jerked around on acceleration. Now I do feel a little more road and engine vibration, but its a welcome feel of the car/engine. Not sure if I'm just imagining this but I could swear that I feel better acceleration.

Can anyone give me a sense of the complexity of replacing the bushings vs replacing the tranny mounts? I've got the hot water trick understood, anything else?

Kev
Old 05-13-2006, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
When I replaced my trans mounts as well, they were toast, riding on the metal safety flanges. It explained why when hitting hard turns in second at the AX why it would pop out of gear. It is also easier to finesse the trans into 2nd gear (even with a dying synchro). I've picked up more noise and vibration, but nothing annoying.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 05-14-2006, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Andyrew

Given that nobody's seen my tranny mounts, how can I tell if mine need to be
replaced?

Thx,

Skip Montanaro
Old 05-14-2006, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Sounds like a good standard maintenance/upgrade. What is involved? Get a jack under the transmission for support loosen the mounts and replace?

Anyone have a link to the 911 sport mounts?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2006, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by blitzer
Anyone have a link to the 911 sport mounts?
This is what I came up with:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/9144/POR_9144_TRANSM_pg3.htm#item16

Is there any reason to prefer the $68 OEM 911 sport mounts over the $27 Meistersatz variety?

Skip
Old 05-14-2006, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by smontanaro
Given that nobody's seen my tranny mounts, how can I tell if mine need to be
replaced?

Thx,

Skip Montanaro
If your shifter moves on acceleration, its probably a good sign your tranny mounts need replaced.

kev
Old 05-14-2006, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Acox914
i LOVE the weltmeister "solid" mounts. (they are hockey puck material) still some compliance, and minor noise was picked up.

UBER clean shifting and only 40-50 bcks a PAIR.

add these, new bushings, and a rennshifter and it shifts like a honda
Old 05-14-2006, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Acox914
i LOVE the weltmeister "solid" mounts.
That would be these?

http://www.weltmeister.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=407

Quote:
add these, new bushings, and a rennshifter and it shifts like a honda
I already have a Honda. I want it to shift like a Porsche don't I???

Thanks for the pointer...

Skip
Old 05-14-2006, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by smontanaro
That would be these?

http://www.weltmeister.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=407

I already have a Honda. I want it to shift like a Porsche don't I???

Thanks for the pointer...

Skip
nope. these...

Solid Transmission Mount, 2 Per Car, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1970-76), 914-6 (1970-72), Pair [Photo]
TR-MNT-001 $56.80
Old 05-14-2006, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

hard mounts eh aaron....I think I'm putting those on my list.

Any drawbacks to them besides more vibration/noise?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

you will feel/hear a little more noise. but the trans doesnt flop around at all. super clean consistent shifting.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Acox914
you will feel/hear a little more noise. but the trans doesnt flop around at all. super clean consistent shifting.
Have to agree, a well spent investment.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 05-14-2006, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: