Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to Tonyakavw Send a message via AIM to Tonyakavw
Engine Bay is painted

First the engine bay got stripped of its type-IV specific stuff (except the motor mounts, which might come in handy later on)

Next I sanded down and cleaned up the engine bay really well.

Today I used a spray gun for the first time and gave it two coats of Zero-Rust. First coat was black, second coat was grey so that I ensure complete coverage.

Here's a picture after prep work was completed.

Here's after the first coat of black

From underneath the trunk

Grey!!
[img]
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads7/21147567834.jpg[/img]

More grey

-Tony

Last edited by Tonyakavw; 05-13-2006 at 04:54 PM..
Old 05-13-2006, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

nice work tony
Old 05-13-2006, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I agree, it sure looks great
Old 05-13-2006, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thats looks great! Nice job. What is that harness for, a subby conversion?

Kev
Old 05-13-2006, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The harness is just the stock 914 harness. There's a hole to the left of the clutch tube area that I cut for the Subaru harness. Its actually a few cable assemblies that come through there. One goes to a custom box that replaces the relay board, another goes to the O2 sensor, two more go to the engine sensors, and then power to the battery.

My Subaru conversion thread is over at the currently down 914club.com. Look for it over there when it gets back online.

-Tony
Old 05-13-2006, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

nice work. cleaning up the engine compartment is a very rewarding task. are you going to have a little paint color matched so the compartment is the same color as the rest of the car?

k
Old 05-14-2006, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Looks great Tony.

You have the rest of today and 4 full evenings to get the rest of it done and have the car at Lone Pine...
Old 05-14-2006, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
are you going to have a little paint color matched so the compartment is the same color as the rest of the car?
Nope. I like the grey color for the engine bay.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Nice job Tony!
Old 05-14-2006, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
SanDiegoDon

If you're going to leave the engine compartment primer gray I would suggest that you give it a couple of coats of clear, gloss or semi gloss.

Primer is pourous, it will absorb oil, grease, oil fumes, etc. and not clean up. It will also absorb water and start new rust. The reason it's pourous is so the paint covering it will stick/adhere. Oh yeah, one other thing, primer needs to be covered soon after it's applied or it gets real pourous.

I'd hate to see all that hard work go down the drain.

Don
Old 05-15-2006, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The paint I used is not a primer. Rather its something like POR-15, though a bit different. Its called Zero-Rust. Here's the website for the company that makes it.

http://www.zerorust.com/

So it doesn't really need a final clear coat, though according to the manufacturer if left in the sun it will fade. My engine bay will actually be protected from sunlight once I'm done, so I'm not really worried about it.

-Tony
Old 05-15-2006, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: