Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
4 lug spacers

Anyone here running spacers on a stock 4-lug setup? I'm looking at using 1-1/2" thick spacers to push my wheels out a bit to fill up my new flares. Looking for advice, positive suggestions and personal experiences.

Thanks

72 steel flared Jaguar Racing Green 2.2 liter "GT"
74 white parts car
74 yellow project car
Old 05-14-2006, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Gary,

Currently I am running 1.125" spacers up front on my 4 lug setup with screw-in studs, of course I've only put less than 100 miles on my car, but for the fronts I don;t see a problem. The studs are not theaded the entire length, I'll try and measure one and give you the numbers.

If I go with the GT flars myself, I'll be switching over to press-in studs in the rear and will have 2" spacers. For the front, I will keep the screw-in studs, mostly due to the design of the billet 4 lug vented rotor hubs.

The "only" screw-in studs I'd go with are the BBS Racing studs, these are properly heat treated to match the factory bolts and studs. If you take a file to an OEM stud and then to a cheap screw-in stud sold by CB Performance or JC Whitney, you'll see how much softer the cheap studs are...
Old 05-14-2006, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mike,
are you still interested in getting rid of those pesky 1/2 spacers?
Old 05-14-2006, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
http://www.marksbugbarn.com/
This is the only place I was able to find 4x130 "spacers". They come with extra long lug bolts. NOW...be advised they are SPACERS not adapters....no studs sticking out and the bolts are 17mm.....I DO NOT know if the bolts are long enuff or have the correct shoulder for alloy wheels but DO fit steel wheels.

I am using the one inch model on the front end of my 356 replica.....I believe they have 1.5 and 2 inch. Originally designed for dune buggies.

BTW....I called them as they were not findable on the website. Could have changed by now though....

Last edited by Joe Bob; 05-14-2006 at 07:59 AM..
Old 05-14-2006, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan (almaden)
Mike,
are you still interested in getting rid of those pesky 1/2 spacers?
sure....I'm finally at the point that I want stuff to "leave" my garage, hahaha
Old 05-14-2006, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by mike mueller
Gary,

Currently I am running 1.125" spacers up front on my 4 lug setup with screw-in studs, of course I've only put less than 100 miles on my car, but for the fronts I don;t see a problem. The studs are not theaded the entire length, I'll try and measure one and give you the numbers.
Hi MIke. Do your spacers simply fit over the studs without being mechanically fastened to the hub? Are the studs BBS Racing Studs?

" If I go with the GT flars myself, I'll be switching over to press-in studs in the rear and will have 2" spacers. For the front, I will keep the screw-in studs, mostly due to the design of the billet 4 lug vented rotor hubs. "

Any particular reason why you'd switch from screw in to press in studs? Would the 2" spacers cause any problems with the geometry of the wheel/tire or the rear suspension? Any stress problems on the studs or wheel bearings?

" The "only" screw-in studs I'd go with are the BBS Racing studs, these are properly heat treated to match the factory bolts and studs. If you take a file to an OEM stud and then to a cheap screw-in stud sold by CB Performance or JC Whitney, you'll see how much softer the cheap studs are... "

I've already researched the BBS Racing studs after reading one of your past posts on the 914Club site. In your opinion, is there any disadvantage to the BBS crew in stud vs a press in stud?

Thanks,

Gary

72 steel flared Jaguar Racing Green 2.2 liter "GT"
74 white parts car
74 yellow project car
Old 05-14-2006, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: