Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Starter

Got a quick question regarding the starter on my 914. About 4 months ago after driving the car about an hour got in and tried to restart and nothing, all electrical still worked fine, but the starter would not turn over. Using this board and all of the trouble shooting articles regarding the starter, by the way thanks guys, I was able to painstakingly find the problem. It ended up being an after market 15 amp fuse on the firewall that was blown. I replaced it and everything was fine for about a month and then it blew again, replaced it and everything was fine until now. Again after a long drive the fuse was blown, except this time everytime I try to restart it keeps blowing the fuse. When the fuse isnít blown the starter seems to be turning over fine; my question is, is a 15 amp fuse in line with the starter a bit week? Could I use say a 30 amp fuse and cure this problem, or does this whole situation indicate that the starter needs to be replaced.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Greg
Old 05-14-2006, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Sounds like the starter solenoid is drawing too many amps. Remove, inspect, repack, or replace....it MAY also be bad battery cables and/or wiring between the fuse and the battery or solenoid...SOMETHING is casuing too much current draw to get around an impedance...

Last edited by Joe Bob; 05-14-2006 at 09:44 AM..
Old 05-14-2006, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Fuses are there to protect your wiring. Using the wrong fuses can equal burnt wiring harness. IMHO, the work around isn't worth the risk. Fix the starter.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks guys, that was my feeling as well, just wasn't sure what the appropriate fuse rateing should be.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jackmech
Fuses are there to protect your wiring. Using the wrong fuses can equal burnt wiring harness. IMHO, the work around isn't worth the risk. Fix the starter.
Hear what he says. I learned my lesson 30 years ago when I was "creative" in wiring a MGA. Short, fire, hours and hours and hours spent replacing the harness and figuring out how to make every thing work.

Did I mention hours and hours of labor?
'74 2.0L LE
'95 968
Old 05-14-2006, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You didn't mention the year of the car, I have a 74 and it has a starter/seat belt interrupt system. It could be a similar system in your car was bypassed. In bypassing the circuit the wiring could be skewed, meaning the cable connections may be poor and causing amperage spikes not normal for the circuit. Its odd the car has to be driven a long time for it to first accrue. That circuit is only used during crank so the path of the wiring may be some of the problem, meaning you may have wiring hitting some hot metal or exhaust areas. Having said that depending on where the fuse is located your ignition switch could be the problem as well. I am no 914 expert but have had a lot of electrical experience over the past 20 years. Good luck and stay on the safe side of the wiring curve...
Old 05-14-2006, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You may want to replace the ignition switch, that has a lot of failure modes. Also check the ground straps: battery to body, and body to transmission. Never replace fuses with higher rated fuses, they are there to protect the wiring. I guarantee that 30 year old wiring will never handle double the current if you double the fuse. A short circuit is just that, a dead short. You have to find the true problem and fix that, not try to mask the problem.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

dumb question, but since when is there a fuse in the starter circuit?

Andy
>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original)
>> 1975/73, 914 Limo (Custom)
Old 05-14-2006, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

It's a Bosch after market add on...I think
Old 05-14-2006, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Re: Starter

Since some brilliant owner or mechanic decided there needed to be one. Check the original note (with emphasis added) :

Quote:
Originally posted by Greenguy
.... an after market 15 amp fuse on the firewall...
--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-14-2006, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Re: Re: Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave at Pelican Parts
Since some brilliant owner or mechanic decided there needed to be one. Check the original note (with emphasis added) :
i read and understood the original question, oh damp one. my post was merely to point out that there might be larger problems lurking in the electrical system of the 914 in question as someone clearly was compelled to add said fuse.

which is usually a sign of a "band-aid" approach by a PO or mechanic ...

there might be more to this issue than greg the green is aware of ...
Andy
>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original)
>> 1975/73, 914 Limo (Custom)
Old 05-14-2006, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: