Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

going to San Francisco

Dave Darling et all:

Lauren and I are taking our first trip to San Francisco in late June to attend a wedding. We are staying in Union Square. What fun Porsche stuff is there to do there?

Davec

1974 tube frame racer #79
1994 968 cab, 6 speed
Old 05-14-2006, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jackmech
914CLUB HOOTERS DINNER!
Old 05-14-2006, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Re: going to San Francisco

[QUOTE]Originally posted by davec
[B]Dave Darling et all:

Lauren and I are taking our first trip to San Francisco in late June to attend a wedding. We are staying in Union Square. What fun Porsche stuff is there to do there?

Davec

Lombard St.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Regrettably - nothing going on at the end of June related to concours, races, autox, timetrials etc. that I know of. May be something going on up at Infineon in Sonoma. Since its your first visit to SF and depending on how much time you have, recommend you do the tourist thing - plenty of stuff to see and do and it should be nice weather except for a little fog in the mornings. If you want to drive some, do the "49 Mile Drive" and Lombard St. is something to say you did too. If you want to drive some more, check out the Golden Gate Bridge on a drive to Marin county, Napa/Sonoma and the wine country or the Monterey Bay area, Carmel etc. to the south.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Drive up to Portland for the West Cost Classic. The drive up the cost can take a week.
Joe
Old 05-14-2006, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I kinda thought I should do the tourista thing at least once. We'll be flying in, so no Porsche drives for us either.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Depending on how you define "fun", you could wander by High Performance House in Redwood City, or EASY in Emeryville. HPH has every 914 part you can think of, in pretty much every color that was made. In multiples. It can be pretty amazing to wander around staring.

We (the local 914 folk) may do a breakfast or lunch thing that weekend--if it's the last in the month, particularly. (Though we haven't been known to turn down too many opportunities to get together and talk cars... Especially if there's beer or pancakes involved!!)

Let's see, the calendar at http://www.pca-ggr.org says for June:
Sun Jun 4 Partsheaven Swap Meet Partsheaven, Hayward
Sat Jun 10 AX #4 Alameda Point
Fri Jun 16 Friday Night Social, 6-9pm Mountain Mike's Pizza in Redwood City
Sat Jun 17 Boxster Brunch 10am at Alice's Restaurant, Hwy 35 & 84, Woodside
Sun Jun 18 Zone Concours #3 Nielo Porsche, Rocklin
Fri Jun 23 Driver's Ed (with Central Coast Region) Buttonwillow
Sat Jun 24 Zone Rallye #1 (Summer Solstice) W. Sac to Woodland
Jun 24-25 Time Trial #3 Buttonwillow

LPR's calendar at http://lpr.pca.org also lists:
6/5 Coastal Driving School DE at Infineon Raceway
6/17 Sunset by the Bay GTG at the Pruss'

Redwood region's calendar at http://red.pca.org also lists:
6/4 Porsche Corral at Wine Country Historics
6/17 Redwood Region Tour to Eureka
6/18 Redwood Region Tour to Redwood Valley

I don't know when you're planning on being here, but there are a few PCA things to do...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-14-2006, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Join the Diablo PCA Region for breakfast on Saturdays 8AM at Denny's in Danville (35 miles east of SF) then go to the nearby Blackhawk Car Museum (unbelieveable collection of concours winning cars). Contact me if this sounds of interest and I will provide more details.
PCA - 36yrs / Ex-RGruppe #197
'04 GT3 Halloween/SF Giants car
'11 E550 Coupe (Königstiger)
Old 05-14-2006, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

SF trip

I will be there Wed. evening, June 28th, through Sunday evening, July 2nd.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

On the first Saturday of the month, the local RGruppe (early 911s with attitude) members gather at EASY in Emeryville. EASY is an all Porsche salvage yard. You get to check out some interesting cars and just might find that 914 part you have been looking for.
PCA - 36yrs / Ex-RGruppe #197
'04 GT3 Halloween/SF Giants car
'11 E550 Coupe (Königstiger)
Old 05-23-2006, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I love union sq

Hope you are staying at the St. Francis. That place is Grand! At the desk, be certain to tell them this is your first visit and you sure hope your room has a good views so you can take some pictures to show the folks back home. Take your laptop if got one, since union sq is wi-fi enabled ((free).
Here is from the 12th floor of the "old building" at the St Francis:

Here is from the 29th floor of the glass tower part:

Rent a car for a day (they will even pick you up) and drive down to Half-moon bay

or go up to the Muir woods:

My gallery page
Old 05-25-2006, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the great pics and the cool ideas!! We're staying at the Rennesance Park 55. Was it a good choice?
Old 05-25-2006, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: