Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

tow dollies??????

first off, what's a good price for a used one (w/brakes)?

secondly, can i tow a 914 in both directions?

can you guys give me any cons?
Old 05-15-2006, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Con . You are going to be very low in front with the rear up on a dollie.

Or visa versa, eather way- LOW.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I've seen nice ones go for about $600.00

Some beat up ones for about $300.00

I like them. Only gotta tie down one end of the car and they can be stored in smaller places.

You can tow either front or rear although some people have said you are taking a chance on the roof ripping off if you tow rear first.

I personally doubt it if the latches are in good shape.

The only con is that you can't back them up with a car on them...

Why brakes?
Old 05-15-2006, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

do they make tow dollies with brakes?
what about the tow bar that bolts on the front bumper mounts? that seems like a nice setup ...
Old 05-15-2006, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

the brakes are electric. my guess is that they are there to help prevent fish tailing.

i like the easy to store aspect of it, the cheaper than trailer price, and the 2 wheels off concept.

but my car sits pretty low, is dragging the spoiler going to be a problem?
Old 05-15-2006, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

My car is fairly low and nothing drags.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

do you tow both ways?
i know my car is too low to get up a set of repair ramps without blocks
Old 05-15-2006, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I had one till someone decided they needed it more than me. Newer ones come with ele brakes. They are hard to back up, so you have to plan on going forward at all times. If the cradle swivels you can't back them up more than a couple feet without causing damage. Price: I've seen them up to $1,100 new. Average is about $800 (new). Used in the $500 range. And yes, I have towed one backwards (From Nevada to here), but it had no roof on it or glass in the front or rear windows. I used duck tape to tape the trunk lip down to make sure it didn't lift.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I've towed with a dolly. It's convinient for some things. I didn't know there were ones with brakes. That would be the ONLY reason I'd go back to a dolly.

I don't have the storage space or the power to tow with a flat trailer. And I've towed with a dolly. It sucks. You can't back up, and you can't make tight turns. The dent in the side of my 914 testifies to the that. And towing backwards is handy for the time the tranmission craps out, and you don't want anymore spinning metal in the gearbox on the way home (BTDT). But it's a lot of extra weight with minimal advantages over flat towing (except for that braking thing, that's cool).

I've towed both directions. Forward would be my preference. Backwards is handy if something broke on the driveline (BTDT too). But be carefull when towing backwards, make sure the rear trunk lid is secured, then double check it. Mine came open once and it was a giant air brake. It also bent the corners of the lid.

Yeah, I've not had a whole lot of luck using my old dolly. Want it? It's yours. No really, you just have to get it... It needs work though. One of the tires is flat, and needs new lights and fenders. But if you want it, you can have it for free.

I'll be flat towing this season. The nice thing I guess about towing with a dolly is that if you prang the suspension you can probably still get one end on the dolly and tow it home. With flat towing, you need the suspension intact (and wheels and tires) at the end of the day to make it home...

-Josh2
Old 05-15-2006, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

forget the tow dolly and trailer and use one of these
Old 05-15-2006, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

attach it to one of these
Old 05-15-2006, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

tow it with one of these
Old 05-15-2006, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

i considered flat towing, but i like the idea that i can tow any of my cars without having to buy additional mounts for them. Plus, a dolly is only a couple of hundred more than the flat tow set up, but i know david is making a nice product.

and why is backing up more difficult than any other trailer?

Last edited by trojanman; 05-15-2006 at 02:58 PM..
Old 05-15-2006, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Because the cradle the car wheels sit on turns in relation to the dolly wheels. When backing up the cradle jacknifes and the side of the car gets hit by the fenders....
Old 05-15-2006, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Because the wheels of the dolly and the road wheels of the towed are not locked together. The cradle where the lifted wheels rest pivots as the car is turned. This makes for a nearly 100% chance that you will jackknife while backing up.

Locking the cradle is not a good idea, as the wheel base of the car/dolly setup will be VERY long and will not turn easily. Multi-axle trailers have all the axlesvery close together to allow an easy turn.

No advantage to dollies there.

Oh, and I just looked at dollies with electric brakes. Yoiks! They ain't cheap. I did my whole tow bar rig for around $200, the cheapest dolly with brakes that I saw was something like $2000.

The brackets were easy to install in the front of the 914.

I'd love to have some extra braking ability, but the cost/weight of a rig is out of my range. Oh yeah, weight. The dolly is not going to be super light. A few hundred pounds easy. If you're towing with a big truck, it doesn't matter. But I'm limited on maximum payload, so I also wanted to keep my weight down. The dolly weighs a little less than a trailer, and a lot more than a bar.

-Josh2
Old 05-15-2006, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

GWN7: Wow, nearly exactly what I had said. That's kindof funny...

-Josh2
Old 05-15-2006, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Hey Greg,

I don't know if you're looking for something to use regularly (race car), or just occasionally (project car purchase), but you can rent tow dollies from UHaul, etc. They'll get pretty picky about the kind of vehicle and hitch you have, about wiring, etc., but for a one-time use or a "test drive" it might be the way to go.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Greg, my offer still stands if you want my old dolly. It may not be pretty, but it's free.

-Josh2
Old 05-15-2006, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jhadler
GWN7: Wow, nearly exactly what I had said. That's kindof funny...

-Josh2
Gee we both must know somthing about dollys (insert the two beers smillie)
Old 05-15-2006, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Headrage
I've seen nice ones go for about $600.00

Some beat up ones for about $300.00

You can tow either front or rear although some people have said you are taking a chance on the roof ripping off if you tow rear first.

I personally doubt it if the latches are in good shape.

I agree on price.

I disagree on towing backwards. I did have a top problem towing backwards and the latches were good. They just aren't strong. One busted.
'74 2.0L LE
'95 968
Old 05-15-2006, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: