Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned for Life

Garage
Question HELP - New shifter and now can't get 2nd and 4th

I installed this weekend a gated shifter for my 901 tail-shifter and can get every gear except the two forward drive gears. Reverse, 1st, 3rd, and 5th are no problem. If I push the shift lever forward, I only get is grinding on 2nd and 4th.

Since the shifter does not appear to be adjustable, what needs to be adjusted (by a rank rookie) and I will need a step by step to get me through it.

Thanks in advance,
Rick
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 05-15-2006, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Acox914
you need to play with the splined connection just under the shifter...

here is what i do. loosen that connection.... go to your tranny now, and MANUALLY set it in 2nd gear.

now, go back to the shifter connection (still loose mind you) and push the shifter to where you believe second gear should be. ie centered left to right but pushed all the way forward.

now tighten the bolt under the shifter.

you should be extremely close now. you may need to fine tune taht procedure....

which is also found in your haynes manual.

AA
Old 05-15-2006, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Not under the shifter on a tailshift car. Behind/between the seats. Remove the little painted cover at the rear of the center tunnel, remove or slide the driver's seat all the way forward, and access the bolt and nut through the hole in the side of the tunnel, counter holding it through the port you've uncovered in the top. Try not to rotate the pieces, just slide them fore and aft to get the adjustment you need. The Cap'n
Old 05-15-2006, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

krusty, you rock.

totally spaced on it being a tailshifter.....
Old 05-15-2006, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Hi Aaron,

Since the car is real new to me, I have not picked up Haynes yet, but it is on my list of immediate 'must buys'.

Sorry to be a total idiot, but should I first try to engage 2nd with my shifter so I know the approximate location of second on the tranny? Or should I leave it in neutral and the rest will become clear when I start fooling with it under the car? Should I place some kind of reference mark on the splined connection for insurance?
Old 05-15-2006, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I believe he said it was a tail shifter. On the tunnel is an inspection cover plate, pull this off and then loosen the clamp between shifter rod and connector rod. Put shifter in neutral , rest the shifter on left stop.
Put the selector at tail of trans in neutral and slide the loose rod to center the selector lever. Tighten clamp between rods. Select third gear and check that the selector lever is engaged correctly. Readjustly if
necessary. Than take it for a spin. Have fun.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
You guys rock! Thanks for the quick responses! I am always impressed by the knowledge found here.

Aaron, the tail shift was an easy miss. Don't worry, I will have more questions....
Old 05-15-2006, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

since you guys are helping I have a question along the same line. I have the wevo shifter and it seems I need to kinda give it a slight push to the right to get it in third right. If I just pushed straight up it kinda nicks 1st. So yeah if you guys know where I adjust the side to side at. Forward and back is pretty good.

Gonna order wevo transmission mounts and precision shift joint in a few days.

I would take it to the mechanic but I really want to learn how to work on this car.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Turboman, what year car? If it's a 70-72 car, has it been converted to a side shifter?

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-15-2006, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It is definetly a side shift and I am pretty darn sure it's a 915 tranny. Only had it 4 days

but the car is a 73 with a 2.7 rs and Yeah I am pretty sure a 915 tranny.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

915 side shifter? 2.7RS? Perhaps a few pictures are in order .......... The Cap'n
Old 05-15-2006, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by The cap'n
915 side shifter? 2.7RS? Perhaps a few pictures are in order .......... The Cap'n
It's definetly a 2.7 motors. Now how exactly do I make sure its a 915. But it looks to me like the shifter comes out the side.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

whose car has a 915? the guy said he has a 901 tail shifter...confusing us here

start your own thread
Old 05-15-2006, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
I purchased a 915 shifter with the gate shift connected to a 901 tail shifter on the 2.0 teener motor. I finally looked under the car and saw much to my surprise, that the shift rod/connections do not connect to the 'tail'-end of the transmission, but come out about half way down the transmission. With the standard 901 shifter connected to the tranny, gear selction was vague and sloppy. With the gate shift, it is less vague, but still is not as crisp as I would like. It sounds like I might have to bite the side-shifter bullet to get what I am really looking for.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

RSBob,

It sounds like you've got a 901 side shift transmission already, if your shifting rod comes out of the tranny pointed at the side of the car at about 8:00 viewed from the back of the car. If the 915 shifter fit, with the ball at the bottom that fits into a cup, then I would guess that your car was upgraded to a later 901, but your original shiftrod in the tunnel was retained, possibly modified. This would mean that the shift rod in the engine bay is custom and because of that it's hard to predict where your adjustments would be done.

So in your case, pictures will help, most of our cars won't look just like yours. That said, my guess is that someone here knows about the type of setup that the PO (previous owner) chose to go with.

And Turboman,

With a 2.7 in a '73, you're entirely in custom territory, again pics would help identify what you're working with. (and you should start your own thread, it's not polite to highjack)
Old 05-16-2006, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: