Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
No oil pressure ! share the cure

I am building a 2056 with parts from Jake Rabe for my 912E. The engine is on my engine stand now and I crank it over on the starter to build oil pressure prior to start-up. I have a direct reading guage and have performed this exercise a dozen or more times. I have never spent more time assembling an engine than I have this one and cranked and cranked ....no pressure . Couldn't sleep last night trying to think how this could happen. NOW THE FIX! I called my son, Blake, on the way home tonight and he said that sometimes they have new engines on the dyno and can't get pressure. He suggested removing the oil filter ( which I filled completely with oil before installation) and let the oil run straight down into a pan while cranking. I did that, oil pumped out, replaced filter and now have 30PSI while cranking. I hope this helps someone if it ever happens to you ! Al
Old 05-15-2006, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It's because your engine is backwards.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
At one point, I couldn't get any pressure in a fresh engine either. I took off the sump plate and used a turkey baster to squirt oil up into the pickup tube. Made a heckuva mess (thank heaven for drip pans!) but when I buttoned it back up again the pressure came up nicely.

I figured that the pump wasn't priming, and the little bit of oil I managed to get into the pickup was just enough to prime it.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-15-2006, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

On my type 1 rebuilds I would add give the oil pump gears a good coat of grease to ensure the the pump would prime it self. Not sure if this is applicable for the Type IV.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I thought everybody left the filter loose until the oil flowed! One of those things you never give a second thought to ....... The Cap'n
Old 05-16-2006, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Thack
When building RX-7 motors we would smear petroleum jelly in the oil pump vanes. Same principal as grease but the jelly burns up after it heats up.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Cap'n I have been rebuilding Ty4 engines fro 15 years and this is the first time this has ever happened. Most times though I don't get the filter filled to the top, usually leave anout 1 inch . This must be enough volume to allow flow to start.. I know now.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Thack
When building RX-7 motors we would smear petroleum jelly in the oil pump vanes. Same principal as grease but the jelly burns up after it heats up.
that is an old trick, I thought everyone did that
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 05-17-2006, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Autobahn Garage

You can use a blow gun with a rubber tip and blow air into the dip stick tube and this will alwaye get the pump primed. Ask me how I know!!
57, Speedster
Old 05-20-2006, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: