Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Leaks

Does anyone have some suggestions as to where oil would be leaking, ending up flowing down the oil filter on a 1974 2.0 motor? The top oil filler/PVC can has had the gasket replaced, as well as the rocker arm cover gaskets, and I have tried a new oil filter as well. After I picked the car up in California, I drove it 800 miles home with minimal oil use. I have since changed every hose, gasket and ingnition part on the top of the motor. None of these things should have affected the bottom side of the motor, with the exception of some of the cleaning agent clearing the oil leak's path. Any suggestions, or recommendations for a good shop in the Tacoma, Washington area? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-24-1998, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

NAPA sells a dye that will glow in a black light and I have used it on our 1987 Turbo when looking for oil leaks. It doesn't affect the oil's ability to do it's job, but I changed it afterwards anyways. You add it, clean the engine, then drive a little and then search with the black light. Also works better at night. It is hard to find a leak when the engine is covered with the sheetmetal, but one guess could be the oil press sender. We had one fail years ago, still worked but leaked oil throught the sender part.
Old 08-25-1998, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Although you see it near the filter, leaky pushrod
tubes let oil get all over the underside of the engine because of all the turbulence under the car
from air rushing both down and back. I've never seen a VW/Porsche that didn't have leaky pushrod tubes eventually.

Citrus based detergents under pressure, (or just a scrub brush and some elbow grease) will make short work of cleaning the underside of the engine
to trace the leak. Be careful to keep it off paint and your skin, however, that stuff is DYNAMITE!
Old 08-25-1998, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
When you changed the filter did you make sure that there was not an old gasket stuck to the block. I've only seen this happen once (on my sisters 93 Jeep during its first oil change after leaving the factory), but having two gaskets on the filter can cause small to massive leaks. I too would check the oil sender, the black plastic in the center of the sender wiggles loose and causes a leak. The next thing would be the oil cooler seals. It is a very remote chance but, the gasket between the block and the oil filter mount might have gone south.
Old 08-25-1998, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: