Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Solex Carb ???

Hey guys,

I just got a pair of 34 PDIST solex carbs made in Brasil. Does anyone have the scoop on these good or bad? I've been told their VW factory carbs. I'm going to put them on my 71 1.7 for now. Also I've been told by two different reputable porsche mechanics in Seattle that I can run stock dist & fuel with these carbs, anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 08-29-1998, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Like John Larson said on the e-mail list tis weekend--any four-cylinder distributor that physically fits will work. The advance curve is where the real differences lie.

So, you *can* run the stock distributor. It may even be a better choice than the 009, from what I've been reading. If the carbs have fittings for advance and retard, you can hook them up. If they don't, leave those two hoses hooked up to nothing.

Stock fuel, sure--gasoline is gasoline for the most part. If you mean the stock fuel *pump*, that won't work. You either have to try to regulate the 45 PSI +- that the stock pump puts out down to about 3 PSI, or you have to replace the stock pump with a carb-oriented (low pressure) pump.

I've heard that it is very difficult to get the stock pump down to 3 PSI, but that was from someone who was selling the other kind of fuel pump. So take it with a grain of salt.

--DD
Old 08-31-1998, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Well if they are like the Zenith Stromberg CDST then you can buy a Haynes manual that tells you everything you would want to know. It has sections on rebuilding, installing, tuning, and troble shooting problems like poor running or flat spots. It's called "Haynes Techbook" 10240 "Weber Carburetor Manual".
Old 09-05-1998, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: