Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

How fun is a 73 914???

Guys, could use your opinions on this....

I am looking at a unfinished 73 914 project. Just wondering how fun are they ?

I should say that I am pretty used to 6cyl power in my 911's and BMW's I am not crazy about the sound the 4cyl puts off but my far off plan would be to drop a 6cyl in it anyway.

The way the car stands now it was sanded down to bear metal so its a perfect time for fiberglass quarters+fenders. There is no rust (that I can see anyway) car looks pretty solid.

I dont know what motor it has probably 1.8 but maybe a 2.0 who know.... but it does have Webers + side shifter trans (said to be working pretty good)
Motor also said to be running pretty good.

The car is FS for $1500

I'm thinking of spliting it with my brother to have a joined project car. I already have to many I am doing solo .

Old 08-25-2006, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

914s are no fun at all, this is not the right car for you. They rust, they depreciate, parts are expensive and they are just underpowered veedubs with a Porsche price tag...I would stick with the Beemers and other cars you have....
Old 08-25-2006, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I believe Jeff Bowlsby said it correctly....

Piece "O" crap cars... PERIOD....!!!!!!!!!

Definetly NARP cars... (not a real Porsche)
Thats why I own three of them....
And I can kick your BMW's ass with my 914 in the twistys..

Regards,
Twystd1
NOTE: I love your car collection.... Very nice..!!
Old 08-26-2006, 02:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

914's a fun cars, but those fix-them-up projects can be $$. Buy today standards, 100 HP is not much. Now if you throw in a 3.2 911 motor, then big fun . But that will run you around 10K or more
Old 08-26-2006, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks guys
So I am trying to decipher your slightly sarcastic messages right now...... Are you really telling me to BUY,BUY that 914? because that I can do heh,heh.

Back to the car ....
It comes with fiberglass front+rear 916 bumpers, new exhaust, newer KOni shocks, Weber carbs (already mentioned) , MOMO steering wheel, Interior is pretty stock incl a 70's style stereo, pedal assembly looks perfect ,
floors look perfect, front trunk is perfect, rear trunk has a few patches, The front fenders were converted to a slant nose but I would be putting the stock flared look rennsped fiberglass fenders and rear quarters.

I guess what I meant to say is....How fun can a moded 914 with a pretty stock motor be? Using webers what can you do to make it more edgy? Is the stock 1.8 or 2.0 good to mod ?

I am clueless when it comes to the 4cyl cars
Old 08-26-2006, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Old 08-26-2006, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered

Old 08-26-2006, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The car looks OK, but the important points are the passenger side rear hip area and under the rockers. Rust is a BIG issue with 914's. Yes, a 914 is a great car, but it is not as fast as a 6 cyl car. All depends on ones goals. It is easy to sink over 10K in a car to get it going again. To restore a 914 right, one has to really want to do it for the love of the project. Very hard to fix a 914 and make $$.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The 2.0 is said to be much easier to mod and get decent power. Hopefully the stock cam has already been replaced with something to go along with the carbs.

914s themselves are a ton of fun, I love mine even with the stock 1.8! It's not going to win any drag races, but I dont have to slow down for corners either! Very flickable cars, easily modded, and you dont see one on every streetcorner.

It's not going to have the power/weight ratio of some of your other stuff, but think "go kart with a windsheild".
Old 08-26-2006, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks Jim,

I would be fixing it for keeps.... No intentions of selling it.... just a "Fun" car to have hanging around.

This pic is really what got be started right now on the 914. I have a 2.4E motor waiting to be tuned up.

As for the rusty areas to look for.... I know about the battery area. Is that the same area your refering too? As for the rockers what do you mean by " area under the rockers " I dont have a clue where that is. Is it not similar to the construction of a 911? repair panels seem pretty cheap for the 914. As for the body work I know somebody that can come to my house and pretty much prep it for paint for pretty cheap

I still have to think about it though
thanks again
Old 08-26-2006, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hi Herman,
Hard to answer your question. Depends on what you are looking for. Think refined go cart and you have a pretty good idea of what these cars are all about. Not much in the power department but tremendous handling. If the sound of a air cooled 4 banger turns you off then forget it. Other than putting in a 6 there is no way of getting rid of it.

By the look of your collection you are well familiar with the early Porsches and their rust problems. The 914's are no exception. Longs, the area under the battery tray (affectionately known as the hell hole), and to a lesser extent the floors are the worst offenders. The longs are what are killing me. They rust from the inside out so by the time you see it they are in bad shape. The body also tended to rust from the back side not the front. Again - first sign of rust is when there is a hole. Normal areas are: just above the door handles, bottom rear of the door jam, around the front turn signals and the rear turn signals. If this car is solid in those areas and is down to bare metal then, in my humble opinion it would be worth $1500 without concern for the state of the engine. If the engine and tranny are good that is a bonus.

I've been listening on this board and over at the 914 club for quite a while now. In the interest of complete disclosure I would say:
These are definite project cars. You have to enjoy working on them.
Many parts are no longer available. Critically - the CV joints.

So if you are looking for a nibble car for the twisties and have the urge to be modifying/repairing then they are a great little car. Lots of guys A/X them and do well.

If you pass on this one could you let me know where it is

Last edited by swl; 08-26-2006 at 07:02 AM..
Old 08-26-2006, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

shoot - took me too long to post. Got called away by she who must be obeyed.

In the first picture: Drivers side long just below the little access cover and I think where the brace joins the long. See that minor rust? That's coming through from the back side.

Also. From the factory the floors are coated in an asphalt noise suppressor. It was bare metal underneath. You will not see floor damage without removing that asphalt. I can't tell from the pic whether it is still there.

The rocker covers is the sheet metal along the bottom of the car between the wheels. It covers the outside of the long structure. They have to be off to properly assess the frame.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by PonchoBrew
It's not going to have the power/weight ratio of some of your other stuff, but think "go kart with a windsheild".

thanks Poncho

Thats pretty much it.... I am not expecting a super fast car I just want it to be fun. The first 914 I drove was back when I was 17 soooo thats 7 years ago and man that car just plain sucked. It was a coverd up rust bucket (looked good though) that groaned when it got jacked up on a garage hoist (serious chassis flex).

The test drive was even worse..... The suspension was worse than what you would expect on 4000lbs cadilac felt very similar to driving a boat. Not kidding. As for power- the motor must have been tired because that car DID NOT MOVE I stress DID NOT MOVE.

I have never driven one since
Old 08-26-2006, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

SWL,
Thanks for all the info.... I will ask the seller to poke with a screwdriver in that area you pointed out. If I do pass I would be happy to pass on the contact info.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by herman maire
thanks Poncho
The test drive was even worse..... The suspension was worse than what you would expect on 4000lbs cadilac felt very similar to driving a boat. Not kidding. As for power- the motor must have been tired because that car DID NOT MOVE I stress DID NOT MOVE.
Definitely not normal characteristics. Obviously a 'before' car.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
proper cam and carbs plus CR results in a nice 120hp 2.0L.

I hate those 916 bumpers and you will hate them if any SUV taps you parking.

Fantasic handling if upgraded alittle bit, tires, shocks etc plus good power at 120hp.

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 08-26-2006, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
mine just the other day.....

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 08-26-2006, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

do a v-8 conversion fastest thing on the planet! 300 HP for $2000.00 instead of $4500.00 for 150 HP check out renegade hybrids or rod simpson porchev.com

Last edited by golfguy9898; 08-27-2006 at 03:58 PM..
Old 08-27-2006, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

You shouldcome to 914 gathering and get a ride in some ofour cars...
Go to www.914club.com and look at the calendar or threads that have a gathering posted...

I think you will be amazed at what you see.

Twystd1
Old 08-27-2006, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vesnyder Send a message via Yahoo to vesnyder
I purchased a 914 almost two years ago after owning 911's for the last 20 years. It has been on jackstands for at most of it's life but over the last 3 months it has been driven regularly. I am still working out some bugs, but it is definitley a fun car! Very easy to work on and they handle like you are on rails, but after driving it regularly for ~3 months and then driving my 911 just this past weekend for th efirst time in a while, I haveto put some HP in that car! It has the stock 1.7, which is a little tired and probably puts out 85HP (if I am lucky?). I am putting together a plan for a rebuilt engine or a /6 conversion, but without it is is just a different looking mid-engined VW, IMHO? Granted, it is very unique in this part of the couuntry and that is part of the attraction. I purchased mine for about the same price as yours and probably have about $5-6 into it now (quit counting). Good luck - you will have fun!

Old 08-27-2006, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: