Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1.8 Eng ??

Hey everyone,
I currently read the bulletin board & porsche list everyday. My question is why aren't 1.8 discussed often? Are they just not popular or just a rare engine? If so are they a good buy?
Old 07-31-1998, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The 1.8 suffers from emission-laws-woes. Its larger in displacement from the 1.7 but has less horsepower due to the fuel injection setup and lower compression. I've heard that the fuel injection (Bosch L-jetronic) is tricky and tempermental but my '75 1.8 liter with 158,000 miles still works like a champ. It's a simple system, easy to diagnose a component failure/problem, and some good literature written about it. Some car friends of mine say that the L-jetronic is a better design than the D-jetronic of the 2 liter.
If you find one in good condition (YOU MUST TAKE IT FOR A PRE-BUYERS INSPECTION) for a good price, I would say get it. I have few complaints. Since they are less popular than the the 2 liter they can be picked up for quite a bit less money. Its a fun car to drive and after driving a friend's '76 2.0 liter, I'm not convinced that an extra $2,000 is worth buying a 2 liter. Spend a few more thousand more and get a converted six-
cylinder or the same era 911 for a real power gain. There are those who would vehemently disagree with me and have valid points for a 2 liter but for my expectations of a 76 hp car are satisfied.
A few easy hints for more power: take the catalytic coverter off (if legal in your state-not California) and use a cat-pipe (about $30); if you can do without heat, remove the heat exchangers and straight pipe the exhaust to a Bursch muffler system (about $250); and of course rebuild with a big bore kit or modified (higher compression) heads (now buying the 2 liter makes sense).
Whatever you do buy, I can't stress enough to get one in GOOD condition. They are old and need some TLC. To maintain a 914 is reasonable, but to restore one is very expensive.
Hope this helps and I'd like to hear other 914-nuts opinions on this issue.
Old 09-07-1998, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have a '74 1.8L and love it. I have an '83 911SC for those days when I need real acceleration, but...

I use the 914 as a daily driver and have found it to be generally reliable and great fun to drive. The handling is excellent, and I've really had no complaints. The 2.0L's are worth a little more, but then their acceleration is nothing to write home about, either. I wanted a 914 for the joy of driving it - a little less seat-of-the-pants throttle response doesn't kill the thrill for me at all, so the 1.8L was perfect for the $...
Old 09-07-1998, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to NOTRIGHT
well i have a 75 with a 1.8 and it run good
i also wave a low mile 74 motor that ran like new when i removed from a dead body
i love it
but dont like the fuel injection
i dont know much about the 2.0 s eather
as far as power goes well the 70 was clean air thing with a lot of lost people trying to keep up with the laws so we had low power good looking cars thank the epa for that but that dont change why i love my
1.8 75 914
Old 09-07-1998, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

We own a 1975 1.8. My wife uses it for summertime racing in the SCCA Solo2 series here in Central Utah. She started out racing in her boss's 91 Miata, but he got out of the sport and we wanted to be economically competitive. Well, she is still winning when the car is up, beating miatas when the course is more control than accelaration, but the car was tired when we got it and I've been playing catch up for three years. I have to keep the vehicle stock in order to remain competitive, and that's been quite expensive from time to time. I agree that it's a wonderful ride, and if I can work on it, any mechanic can. We just acquired two parts cars...I am considering rebuilding the 1.8 for modified class SCCA racing, and turning our current driver into a daily driver, modifying it to be cheaper to maintain and a bit more reliable. I love the handling characteristics, and it's a pleasure to drive something that you don't see at every stop light.
Old 09-11-1998, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: