Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Wiring Hazard Switch Part 2

The terminals on the Hazard Switch are:
Wire Red w/white stripe to terminal 15
Wire Black w/Red to terminal 30
Wire Black w/Blue to terminal 58b
Terminal 31 to Ground
Terminal 49a to Hazard/Turn Signal Flasher
Terminals R and L are for front and rear turn signal lights

My question is WHERE DOES TERMINAL PLUS(+) GO??

Haynes doesn't show this connection.

The second question is:

The wire diagram says that this is a "CABLE CONNECTOR, SINGLE" and goes to "CABLE CONNECTOR BELOW CONSOLE"

Someone please solve my dilemma
Old 12-20-2006, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
OK, leave it to eBay to provide the pics.

Ebay ad 250055828940 is for the "late" switch. Here's the picture of the terminal arrangement :

Looks just like your switch.

They're also selling a "early" switch with no resistor and a missing terminal 54, where your 58b is located, ad number is 260003899475.

Last edited by pbanders; 12-21-2006 at 09:51 AM..
Old 12-21-2006, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
OK, so I'm looking at the 1973 wiring diagram on Pelican:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Electrical/914_electric_73A.jpg

I'm assuming this is the right one since you seem to have a "late" switch.

I see the following terminals:

L
R
49a
58b

The switch has:
L
R
"+"
49a
58b

If you map 49 on the wiring chart to "+", looks like it makes sense. From what I can see, 49 is a single red wire that comes from component 47 (terminal 49), which is identified as the "turn signal/emergency flasher unit".
Old 12-21-2006, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I just noticed that component 47 is called a "direction warning blinking indicator" in the early wiring diagrams - I assume this is blinker relay?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Weird. Now that I look at your switch some more, the 58b connection is odd. Look at the wiring diagram, 58b is connected to a blue/black wire that goes to a junction that current to all of the instrument backlights. 58b is then connected to a 300 ohm resistor, and on the other side, is connected to ground (via terminal 31 in the wiring digram, looks like a direct connection to the case rivet in the photos above).

What the heck is the purpose of this? Looks like it's just a 300 ohm load on the instruments lights circuit. I don't see it has any functional purpose with the hazard switch at all.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by pbanders
Weird. Now that I look at your switch some more, the 58b connection is odd. Look at the wiring diagram, 58b is connected to a blue/black wire that goes to a junction that current to all of the instrument backlights. 58b is then connected to a 300 ohm resistor, and on the other side, is connected to ground (via terminal 31 in the wiring digram, looks like a direct connection to the case rivet in the photos above).

What the heck is the purpose of this? Looks like it's just a 300 ohm load on the instruments lights circuit. I don't see it has any functional purpose with the hazard switch at all.
Duh, now I see what it does. It turns on the hazard switch light to a low level when the headlights are on, so you can find the switch in the dark. My early car doesn't have it, and yeah, you have to fumble for the switch. The hazard light bulb is that little "X" inside an "O" in the ground path to pin 31 in the switch diagram. I guess that connection that looks direct to ground on the other side of the resistor isn't - it goes to the spot shown in the switch in the wiring diagram.

When you pull on the hazard light, you get a full 12V supplied to the light for a brighter light, flashing in sync with the hazard lights.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
BTW, you can verify that the "+" terminal is really terminal 49 in the diagrams by testing the switch with your DMM. Put it in to continuity mode, push the switch in, and touch the "+" terminal and terminal 15. Does it beep? If so, switch from terminal 15 to terminal 30, then pull the switch out. Does it beep? OK, it must be terminal 49.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: