Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 Front suspension to 911...?

Seasons Greetings!

I have been working on converting a 914-4 to a 914-6 for some time now and I am very close to finishing. Oh, what a good day that is going to be! I robbed a 69 E of the Bilstein suspension with 3.5" spacing. The problem I am having is that I need to lower the ride height. Is that possible with these or am I going to have to use different suspension?

Also, I am having no luck at all getting the pinch pin back in. I put brand new ball joints in and bought new pins. Is there a difference in a 911 balljoint and a 914 balljoint?

On the aluminum calipers, does the cross-over line go up or down?

I'd really appreciate some help from someone who has done this before.....Ready to go for a ride.

Thanks.

Jimmy
Old 12-22-2006, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It appears that you have the calipers swapped side to side.
The bleed screw goes up.

There are 2 types of ball joint, the pinch type (early) and wedge pin (late)....you need the wedge type ball joint for those struts.

The Bilsteins are amenable to raising the spindles.....if you want to lower the car that far. Then you'll need some tie rod end extensions (not cheep) from ERP.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hay, that ain't my car......no rust on my rotors.
Another pic
Old 12-22-2006, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
Jimmy,

The ball joints you need are here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911M/POR_911M_SUSshk_pg10.htm#item48

As for lowering, you need to decide how low you want to go. Keep in mind, at a point your suspension will not work as well as the stock designed ride higth. To correct this, you can raise the spindle higth of your bilsteins. Rebel racing offers this mod as well as a phenomenally designed tie-rod bump steer kits. His site is here:
http://rebelracingproducts.com/Suspension/Steering.html

Last edited by BigD9146gt; 12-23-2006 at 09:53 AM..
Old 12-22-2006, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

This is GREAT advice. Got to rap presents, but will study all this later tonigt. I need to see but my best guess right now will be around 2 ..3 inchs maybe?Please keep an eye on this thread.Going to take care of this very soon!
Jimmy
Old 12-22-2006, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: