Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2.0--1.7 car

O.k I'm sure everyone else already knows this, but will a '74 2.0 eng. drop right into a 1.7 car? I have a rusty but strong '74 2.0 and am considering buying a rust free CA 1.7.
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-20-1998, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Yes and No.

If the 1.7 is a 70-72 you will need the engine mount bar from that car and the tail shift trans OR the 73-76 engine bar and convert the car to sideshift.

Don't forget the 70-71 (possibly early 72) have a non-adjustable seat.

If you buy a 73 1.7 this won't be a problem. The 73 had both motors in it and was the first side-shifter trans.

As for the wiring, the 1.7L has a slightly different FI then the 2.0L. Both are D-Jet but the intake manifold and air cleaner, the throttle body and TPS, the engine tinware, and the wiring of the relay board are different. The difference in the relay board, as I remember, is moot. Something like the heater fan grn/red (or just green was it?) wire is in a different place. I put a '72 1.7L motor into a '74 1.8L car, with a '75 2.0L injection. I ran into trouble because the cars harness had caught on fire at some time in its life and was replaced by solid core house wire. I Also used a 2.0L SS exhaust system on the 1.7L. Another thing to note is I live in Florida where a 74 dosen't have to pass emisions (even then it is just a tail pipe sample at idle) so see if you can legally put a bigger motor in the car (it is also newer so it should be O.K.). I would suggest that whenever switching things from origninal check EVERYTHING TWICE, look at both harnesses side by side, go trough each wire, look at the throttle cable, and by all means take A LOT of pictures of both cars, as you go along, if this is your first swap.
Old 09-20-1998, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
What JP said.

It appears that the only problems you might run into are where the main wiring harness and/or FI wiring harness connect to the relay board. (If you get a 1.8 car body, there may be one or two other differences.)

All the same signals go into the relay board, but in different years, they go into different pins. Same functionality, but you may not be able to just plug-n-play. Grab your Haynes book (or Factory book if you've got it!) and check the diagrams for the relay board of whatever chassis you get, and of your 74 (diagram for the 73 is the one to use for that, I think).

If the wires from the different components hook to different places, you'll have to change something. I'd suggest re-wiring the plug from the main wiring harness (the T-14 plug). You can just pry the back off that plug, and re-arrange the wires and pins. It may be difficult to get enough slack in the wires to put some pins where you want them, but that is left as an exercise for the reader. ;^)

--DD
Old 09-21-1998, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: