Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question engine tin removal

How difficult is it to remove the engine tin for repainting with the engine in the car? My car has been converted to a single carb so most of the FI wiring and components are gone. It doesn't look to be too difficult. Any special tricks or things to watch out for?
Thanks for the help!
Old 12-29-2006, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Not ez, damn near impossible.....
Old 12-29-2006, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
pull the engine and trans as a unit. it is easy to pull them together.
why does everyone try so hard to avoid dropping the engine from a 914?
you want EZ?....drop teh engine and trans as a package.

theoretically...I could rebuilt the engine in the car...the question is why?
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You guys are playing games right?

Its easy to pull the tin only, at least the top side tin pieces which are most of them. Pull off the intake system, then the tin is only held in place by a couple dozen screws. No need to pull the engine, that would not be time efficient, if all you want to do is paint the tin. Powdercoat for the best results.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Wink engine tin removal

bowlsby...thanks for confirming what I thought on the ease of the top engine tin removal. I didn't think it looked that tough. thanks again
Old 01-01-2007, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The tin across the front of the engine can be a PITA; there is one screw that is quite difficult to get a driver onto. Especially since the engine tin screws appear to be made specially for the Biggest Slot-Head Screwdriver In The World... The only one I've found that fits is about two feet long!!

BTW, ditch the single carb. Go duals. Or better yet, EFI!! The single-carb setup is about the worst way you can get air and fuel into the engine...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-03-2007, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: