Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned for Life

Garage
Fun with 'new' side shifter, shifter

Had the tail shifter replaced 3 months ago by my wrench with a side shifter and the change is unreal. What a fantastic change.

Tonight the wife and I head out at dusk in the 914 to meet some friends, get two miles from home and all of a sudden the shifter is spinning around in my hands and obviously not attached to the tranny. Since the car is out of gear and rapidly slowing, I am looking for a place to pull off the 2 lane road. I coast into a person's drive way and get out the tool kit. First I check that the shiftrod (linkage?) is still attached to the tranny. Then open the tunnel inspection plate to see that everything looks OK - does not resemble my tailshifter there either. Then decide to pull the gear shift and sure enough, it pulls right out after removing the 3 retaining nuts. Low and behold, the shifter does not have the ball and cup arrangement like my tailshifter but there should be a bolt through the rod and the bottom of the shift lever. "Look ma, no bolt!" I find the bolt and after a bit of fishing the washer and nut.

Now the fun begins, sitting in the semi dark, there is no way for me to get the bolt through the shift rod and through the shifter. I try and try and try, and it seems that I just do not have the space for my fingers, the bolt and pushing the lever down far enough to drive the bolt through both. After 45 minutes of trying everything I can think of to get the bolt thru, I give up and force the car into 4th gear and limp the car home - up some pretty major hills. I have to get some good runs up the hills with icy patches on some of the curves. That made for some interesting moments. I almost hit a utility truck pulling out of a neighbors driveway with out its lights on. I also lose all my momentum to get up my long steep driveway. I circle around again and just barely lug it into the garage.

And now my question - without side access plates, how do you get the stupid bolt through the shift rod and shifter and then get the bolt secured - this time with lock tite? Do the later model cars have side access panels? Would it be advisable to cut an access hole or is there some trick?
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 12-30-2006, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Hmmm, If I remember correctly.....you can disconnect the shift rod from the bulkhead in back. That allows the rod to pull forward and up and let's you get the bolt thru the shifter.

You might want to consider a Nylock or Loctitie on that puppy....good luck.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Take it apart at the shift lever adjuster.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Since I needed to install the missing rubber/plastic boot covers on the tranny and firewall, I ended up disassembling everything, installing the boots which allowed me to pull the rod up to install the bolt with Loctite and a lock washer. Of course there is all the little fun stuff which takes extra time, pulling the console/speaker, the tunnel carpet, the tunnel tray and inspection plate. I was happy I didn't go the route of my original plan, which involved cutting holes in the side of the tunnel.

Appreciate the replies.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikelsr Send a message via Yahoo to mikelsr
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Sharp
Take it apart at the shift lever adjuster.
Joe how do you like the extra springs? I put them on the -4 and it made a great improvement in me not hitting reverse. Until your picture I forgot that I had put them on it.

Mike
Old 01-02-2007, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Weltmeister has a spring kit available for those who want to upgrade. Some drilling required.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: