Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question 911 front struts on 914 ?

I am in the process of purchasing 1972 911T front Boge strut housings with new inserts,hubs,brake calipers and all caps,bolts etc. that I will be installing in my 75 914 chassis. I will be installing new tie rod ends and ball joints is there anything else "while I'm in there"? I will be retaining the 914 A arms and will replace the bushings on those in the future. Is there anything I have to do at the top of the shock tower? Anything I've missed? Thanks
Old 01-04-2007, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nope those wont work on a, What year did you say yours was? No those wont work on a 75. Just ship it to me and we can call it even

It sounds like you have everything. Bushings, paint, check the arms for cracks, wear etc.

What did it cost you, and what are you doing for the rear?

Also check the pelican tech area, I believe there is a write up on this exact mod.

I think there is a bearing upgrade for the top mount, also flush / bleed the brakes since you will open the system. Pads? Measure the rotors to check that they are good. Triple check EVERY bolt and torque EVERYTHING. Oh yeah use jackstands, just remember to get the car off of them eventually.

Last edited by 914fan; 01-05-2007 at 11:49 AM..
Old 01-05-2007, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

914fan I think I payed fair market price for all that was included. For the rears the previous owner had them redrilled to the 911 5 lug pattern so I think for now I'll go with that. I haven't mic'd the rear rotors but I think they're O.K. This car will be on jack stands for probably the next 2 years + as I am going to do GT flares and a 6 cylinder conversion. Also will be doing chassis stiffening,some rust repair etc. etc. I am really concentrating on getting the chassis right before I start my search for an engine.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just be sure you get the correct ball joints for the STRUT, and new fasteners for that as well.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Is there any differences when using the front suspension off of a longhood compared to an impact bumper 911?

Do you need the A arms off the 911 or just the struts?

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 01-07-2007, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It's my understanding that you only NEED the strut housings and struts and they will work with the 914 A arms. You can however also install the 911 A arms if you want to, I believe you gain a larger torsion bar. My A arms look to be in very good shape so I will use them. The money saved by reuseing the A arms will help pay for new Elephant Racing polybronze bushings and larger torsion bars.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

OCD project capitan

Garage
Guys, heres the skimmy...

The only determining factor with sturts is using the correct ball joint that fits in the strut. The bottom of the ball joint that fits in the A arms are all the same (911 '68-'89, 914 all).

The 914 A arms and 911 A arms are different ONLY by the spline for the torsion bar. Same sizes should be available for both, but I would assume the 911 A arms would have more options with regards to performance parts like hollow bars.

As for the sturts and strut housings, I don't have all the veriables list next to me, but give our host a call or GPR a call and they will get you squared away.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: