Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Welding on the roof

Any benefits? Anyone have a pictures?

Tell me why not.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 01-04-2007, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Acox914
uh.. the roofs arent metal... hard to weld.

BTW - the 916's had metal roofs welded on. pick up some rigidity
Old 01-04-2007, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

No kidding! I thought it felt light.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 01-04-2007, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The 914-6GT roofs were bolted on. There was a metal framework bonded to the fiberglass roof, and brackets were installed on the windshield frame and the targa bar that the framework was bolted up to.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-04-2007, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Are those available anywhere?

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 01-07-2007, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You might be able to find some of the parts somewhere. Armando Serrano (http://www.pbase.com/9146gt) is near-obsessive over the GTs, he may have some ideas.

Original GT parts are cubic dollars, though.

You can probably have something fabricated locally. Which begs the question, "Why bother, Brother?"

--DD

Old 01-07-2007, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The targa roof is a drawback for me. I just wondered if anyone ever does this.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 01-07-2007, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Not that I know of. The GTs did it, AFAIK, because the rules they ran under specified that the cars needed a hard top.

You can fabricate a metal roof on the pattern of the stock fiberglass one, and weld that on, a la 916. Lots of trouble, but should be doable for a good fabricator. It would be interesting to see what you would have to do about the window seals and such afterwards.

--DD

Old 01-07-2007, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Well, if I ever pull the trigger, I'll post the pictures here first.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 01-13-2007, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
George H. from AA is having it done as we speak. He has pics posted up on the 914world website. Sounds like it's quite a bit of fabrication, and not as easy as it looks. There's been some discussion of how the shape of the roof can be made...

--DD

Old 01-14-2007, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I couldn't find the thread.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 01-20-2007, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to John Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to John Kelly
Here is the thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=66687&hl=

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

ghiafab@coastaccess.com
Old 01-21-2007, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Brother
The targa roof is a drawback for me. I just wondered if anyone ever does this.
I find no use for the removable roof and keep mine on 100% of the time. The car does look cool without the roof but I can feel the extra body flex with the roof off in both my rust-repaired 71 and nearly rust-free 74.

Also with the roof off, my hair gets all messed up. (I know, what a sissy). Also on those real hot days, having the roof off allows the sun to beat down directly on me and my black interior making me feel even hotter.

Spoke
Old 01-21-2007, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I totally agree, Spoke. I don't have hair so it is even worse.

My roof squeks a lot too. The rubber seals need some replacing. Thankfully they will be LESS THAN $1,000 to replace.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 01-21-2007, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

There is absolutely NO chassis rigidity with the fiberglass roof on. There may be a subjective sense of less flexing. If you see flexing with the top off it will be going on with it on, and anyway you have a chassis that needs reinforcing. I installed a weld in roll cage that allows the use of the top. The only drawback is that it mandates the installation of power window motors since the descending front post interferes with the window crank. While in the process, tie the roll cage to the rear suspension, and if possible, the front one too. It sounds complicated but actually an easy job (just takes several short horizontals) and that will stay under the replacement cost of a new car. I don't want to venture into the factory chassis reinforcing kits... they were just a patch and at the end proved no good.
The ability to run with the top off is to behold and should not be relegated to a rigid top if you have a removable one.
Happy motoring.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I think this is why the factory GT's had the bolt in targa top with reinforcement.

I think I'm going to order John Kelly's metal Working DVD and start learning some things before tackling a project like this. Maybe a few years down the line.

I'm starting with the front trunk. I'll post some pictures in a new thread.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 01-21-2007, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
The GTs had bolt-on roofs because the rules they were running under mandated a "fixed roof".

I have heard from a number of sources, including several that I trust quite a bit, that the FG roof panel does indeed reduce chassis flex. It does not eliminate it (not by a long shot!!) but it does reduce it. A steel roof would do more.

A cage, roof on or off, does a whole lot more to stiffen the chassis.

--DD

Old 01-21-2007, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Of course it does. It is the lid of the shoebox to borrow the analogy. It just could be better.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 01-21-2007, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

The middle chassis, just like a piece of wire, is metal. You can bend it to the point of failure, it's called shear. If you bend it slightly back and forth many times, it fatigues. It may not snap in two, but the bending will gradually increase in magnitude. If it gets really bad, even a piece of fiberglass may stiffen it a litle bit. There are many bolt-in/weld-in roll cage kits that will do the job and will not detract from the purists. Have you checked the reinforcin kits for the suspension ears?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

another point to keep in mind
roll cages are dangerous on street cars.

I know some do it.
but I want to voice my opinion for those contemplating such a thing.

I wouldn't drive a roll cage equipted car without a 5point restraint system and/or a helmet.

head trama is not a pretty thing people.
4 gallons of gas
and 1826 lbs (wet)
Old 01-23-2007, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: