Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Need advise - My car is coming out fo storage after 6 years.

I could really use some advise from the experts on the board:

This is not 914 related but I have gotten so much good advise for my 914 that I thought I would ask you guys.

I just bought a 1989 944 (base model). I'm new to 944's but I have been a 914 owner for many years.

The car is a 1989 with 37k miles. It's been parked for 6 years in a garage with a cover on it but has not been touched the entire time.

The guy I bought it from bought it new and it had been maintained well it's entire driving life.

It currently has a dead battery.

My plan is to replace the battery, squirt a little oil into the spark plug holes and start it up. Then I was going to replace the plug wires & plugs, change oil, & radiator fluid. I'm also going to put new tires on it. If I am able to get it up and running, I am going to take it into the shop and get the timing belt(s) replaced.

If anyone has any tips - I am open to suggestions. I'm really excited about this car as it is in pretty mint condition and has really low miles on it.

Thanks in advance...............Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 01-05-2007, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
SanDiegoDon

After pulling the plugs and squirting some oil into the cylinders, crank the engine with the plugs out to get oil into the bearings, prime system, etc.

Does she have a electric fuel pump? If so, disconnect outlet side and attach hose and pump out old fuel, refill with new. Might want to add a bottle of fuel system cleaner too. Old fuel can gum up injectors.

Good idea on timing belt, I'd change them all.

Flush and refill brake fluid.

Other than that, sounds like you've got it pretty much under control. Have fun with her.
'
Good Luck, Don
Old 01-05-2007, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I forget now... But I think I might change out the balance shaft belt while I was at it.

I would yank the gas tank. Take it to a radiator shop and have them clean it before I started it.

Clean the fuel lines. Pull the fuel feed off the injector boss and Turn the key on.....
let the fuel pump pump some new gas throught the line into a bucket. A gallon or so shoud do it.

Change out (I think 2 of em) fuel filters.

And everything SanDiego Don said.

Y amight wanna post this over at the 944 forums or rennlist forums if ya want some more input.

C

Last edited by Twystd1; 01-05-2007 at 07:13 PM..
Old 01-05-2007, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Timing belt--change that thing before you move the engine at all!! If it breaks, you will bend valves and be very unhappy. The rollers and such, too. All 944 website should at least have a reference to what gets replaced on those cars when you do the timing belt.

The really bad news is that setting the belt tension requires a special proprietary tool that costs $$$. And there is no DIY replacement that I know of.

A belt that has been sitting for 6 years is almost certainly bad. Or at least, you need to assume that when the belt is so absolutely critical to the engine.

There is a 944 forum here at Pelican as well. You might post your question there.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-06-2007, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the input.

I am going to have the shop do the timing belt, counter balance belt and water pump (before the engine gets started).

I did post the same question on the 944 board and I got lots of great tips. I just thought I would post here too since every question I've ever had about my 914 has been answered - there are a lot of experts on this board.

Thanks.................Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 01-09-2007, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: