Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Flairs

I saw a set on ebay from a company, has anyone else seen these in person? They were a very low price is why I was asking.

I guess I should introduce my self since this is my first post.. I just recently bought, as in this past weekend, a 72 914 with plans to put a v8 in it. I have always been in to bmws and still have a 82 320is, and a 87 325. but have wanted a 911 for ever, but then when I saw what can be done with the 914 I thought it would be more fun. Just found out tonight that the pass side jack point on the back has some rust, so I guess that is where I will be starting so any pointers with be great..

thanks, Daniel
Old 01-09-2007, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
"A set from a company" doesn't really say much, does it?

I've seen the factory flares, and I've seen the AA flares. I've seen fiberglass flares from several manufacturers. Generally, the metal ones were better quality, though some of the glass ones were pretty decent.

The right-side jack point having "some rust" is not uncommon. But it's more common for what's around it to have a whole lot of rust--take off that rocker panel cover and see what's underneath. There'll probably be a lot of dirt that traps water against the metal, and at least some rust. Maybe a bunch...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-09-2007, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I found rust on my passanger side too!

I figured this was justified as the car was a complete and free 73 2.0. And up in Canada(well my part at least) I didnt figure I would ever find a "Rust Free" 914 so I made one.

Congrats on getting a 914! You won't regret it!!...till tomorrow...but then you'll love it when its fixed on friday...then you;ll regret buying it when it breaks down again on sunday...and so on...

Last edited by Conrad W Peden; 01-11-2007 at 09:35 PM..
Old 01-11-2007, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

wow!! thats alot of work there. I guess I will see how far I have to go.. I was thinking the same thing, not much of a chance of finding a rust free one so might as well start somewhere. what is the best way to support the car when you start taking the longs apart?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Get some steel and weld in supports to hold it straight. There are pics around of all kinds of set-ups people have made. The best I've seen is a frame work to replace the door, that way you know your door will fit afterwards.

My car was already bent. If you look at the door frame where the hinges bolt on you can see a bunch of dents?

I don't know what the car hit(I'm 3rd owner) but this is the result..compare windsheild frame to rollbar

This was used to straighten it up...it still isnt right. I think I'll have to go to a frame shop and see what they say.

But I can say 'I have a rust free 914'.......for now anyways.

Last edited by Conrad W Peden; 01-12-2007 at 10:04 PM..
Old 01-12-2007, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: