Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned for Life

Garage
First oil change... duh

OK, I have done many fixes and repairs but today decided to change the oil. I backed the car up on ramps. I removed the main crankcase bolt and the smaller one (to the screen?) and drained both. I removed the filter and replaced after oiling the filter gasket.

What surprised me is that only about 4 quarts of oil drained out. Did the ramps at the back force the oil forward and thus not drain the old stuff out?

Also, is a special tool needed to unscrew the star shaped area where I would assume the screen lives? How does it come off? Also, what type/size of gasket is needed when reinstalling? Was not unscrewing the star area responsible for not all the oil draining out? Supposedly 7.4 quarts.

Thanks...
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 01-14-2007, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Your type IV motor only holds 4 quarts. So I believe you are good.
7.4 quarts??? maybe in your 911.
The black cover at the center of the case does come out and yes that is where the screen resides. Gasket paper you can get material from NAPA and cut your own. or from the vendor of this site has precut ready to go gaskets.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The sump plate (the thing with the star-shaped indentation on it) should simply slide right out after you remove the nut (it looks like a bolt, but the threads are on the inside!) that holds it in.

Joe is quite right, 4 quarts is all these engines hold. Actually, just a bit less--but slightly overfilling them is generally regarded as a Good Idea anyway.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-14-2007, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
I have the original owners manual from '71 so the car was most likely a 1.7 originally, so I'm thinking that's why the high amount of oil. But what a drastic reduction from 7.4 to 4 quarts!

Dave, I will fill it to the top of the upper line on the dip stick. Also, when you say the the sump plate should slide right out - how do you grab it to pull it out since it is a bit recessed?

Joe, thanks for the tips - especially on gasket paper (a new one on me). Dave you will get my $$ next time.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Rick, my sump plate has always fallen off into my drain pan as soon as I removed the retaining nut. (BTW, this is the "NEVER EVER TIGHTEN TO MORE THAN 9.4 LB-FT" bolt; it is critical not to exceed the torque spec here.)

If someone put sealer on it, it might be thoroughly glued into place, and it might stick a little bit even with no sealer. Try pushing up and twisting on it a little with your hands. If all else fails, a little gentle (VERY GENTLE!) prying around the center hole might get it moving.

The 7.3 quarts is either a misprint in your owner's manual, or a misreading of what's there. The early motors held no more oil than the later ones.

You can overfill the engine by a bit--say about the same distance from the "empty" to "full" lines on the dipstick, or a bit less. It doesn't hurt the motor, and it can keep the oil pickup submerged just a little bit longer in sustained high-G turns.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-14-2007, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Good info - thanks a lot Dave!
Old 01-14-2007, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: