Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question bumper tops- replacements beside rubber?

I have a 1975 914 that I recently purchased and as part of the deal it came with older style front and rear bumpers. But I don't have the bumper tops. I am in the process of buying some used rubber tops but was curious does anyone make aftermarket tops out of a material besides rubber or vinyl? I would think a fiberglass piece that could be painted body color would be much cheaper.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Ive had luck using bondo on bumper tops with cracks and missing chunks. then just spray paint the whole thing satin black. Lots of sanding..
Old 01-26-2007, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I have never heard of a FG bumper top. If someone could make one that fit nicely, that would probably be a winner!

I do know that there are FG replicas of the original bumpers, with bumper tops included, available. I don't know if we can get them or not...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-26-2007, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I bought a set of fiberglass repros off ebay awhile back. I haven't installed them yet but the quality looks really good.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Headrage
I bought a set of fiberglass repros off ebay awhile back. I haven't installed them yet but the quality looks really good.
Are you saying you bought a complete bumper or a fibre glas top?
WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I just installed a fiber glass bumper top today on my front bumper. I have had the part for many months and just today opened the box and installed it. It is a little wavy along the top line? It looks better than the stock rubber that was extremely wavy. It cost about $150 with shipping
Old 01-28-2007, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Tsunamiboy
I just installed a fiber glass bumper top today on my front bumper. I have had the part for many months and just today opened the box and installed it. It is a little wavy along the top line? It looks better than the stock rubber that was extremely wavy. It cost about $150 with shipping
Where did you buy it?
WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
FG bumper top

SoftTech, Inc
30003 Hickory Lane
Franklin, MI 48025
www.bedrisersales.com

It appears that every place they cemented in a block that receives the bolt, the bumper top is ridged. The span between the bolt blocks gets a little distorted as it gets bolted down. I will probably monkey with it a little to see if I can get the top line straighter?

I just dropped some big bucks having rust, body and paint work done to perfection and I will probably end up buying OEM like I have with O-SO-MANY other things I have tried to save money on (dash top, rocker panels etc.).
Old 01-29-2007, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by rich
Are you saying you bought a complete bumper or a fibre glas top?
Just the tops. Check ebay item # 4634996638...
Old 01-31-2007, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
breathe, pause, think.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tsunamiboy
The website quotes $250 regular price and a sale price of $195, how did you get it for $150/shipped? I'd like to get a rear F/G pad.
Cheers,
Old 02-12-2007, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I purchased mine about 15 months ago so the price may have changed in that time or maybe they have improved their product, one can only hope so.

I am definately going to have to modify mine to make it look right. If you are going to purchase one you might try to contact someone and ask if they have taken care of the problem with the wavy top line (see my posted picture).
Old 02-14-2007, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
breathe, pause, think.

I'd like to go with the F/G rear top (easy repairs if needed down the road), Thanks for the heads up and the info!
Old 02-14-2007, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: