Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
SanDiegoDon

Failed CD boxes on stock 914-6 ignition

Went out to start the 6 today. She's got a stock Bosch Ignition system, Bosch distributor and CDI box.

Anyway, she cranked but wouldn't start. So I hooked up a timing light to check for spark, no spark. Installed a spare Petronic's CD box to replace the original Bosch CD box. Started right up.

Let her run for about 10 minutes while checking some other things, lights, turn signals, etc. Reached in to goose the throttle, she died and wouldn't restart.

Hooked up the timing light again, no spark. Replaced the CD box with my last spare and she fired right up.

Now I'm wondering if this is just coincidence or is there something causing the CD boxes to fail.

It's got me baffled, I know that's easy to do.

Anyone got any ideas, I really hate to fry these things, they're not cheap.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Don
Old 01-30-2007, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
King Broinyo

MSD 6AL

I burned up three pertronix before switching to MSD and never had a problem again. The Pertronix are just garbage in my opinion
Old 01-31-2007, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
Re: Failed CD boxes on stock 914-6 ignition

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoDon
Went out to start the 6 today. She's got a stock Bosch Ignition system, Bosch distributor and CDI box.

Anyway, she cranked but wouldn't start. So I hooked up a timing light to check for spark, no spark. Installed a spare Petronic's CD box to replace the original Bosch CD box. Started right up.

Let her run for about 10 minutes while checking some other things, lights, turn signals, etc. Reached in to goose the throttle, she died and wouldn't restart.

Hooked up the timing light again, no spark. Replaced the CD box with my last spare and she fired right up.

Now I'm wondering if this is just coincidence or is there something causing the CD boxes to fail.

It's got me baffled, I know that's easy to do.

Anyone got any ideas, I really hate to fry these things, they're not cheap.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Don
Exactly which Pertronix "CD" box are you talking about, and how did you wind up with so many "spares"?

There are many who have their own "personal" opinions about Pertronix products, since the items aren't necessarily "goof-proof".

Last edited by Rouser; 01-31-2007 at 08:46 AM..
Old 01-31-2007, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think you have another problem, its just a coincidence i would check the points and also the coil you might try wiggling the wires also it might be when you unplug the CDI you are making a loose wire connect again dont forget the coil wire, also the cap could also cause the problem you didn't state which wire you are checking for spark at
Old 01-31-2007, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
SanDiegoDon

It's Perma-tune not Pertronix CD boxes, sorry about that. A friend sold his 914-6 and had 2 CD boxes that the buyer didn't want to buy, also had a bunch of spare parts, so I bought the 2 boxes for $100 and some of the other parts. I like spare parts. I was restoring mine at the time.

I checked the spark with a timing light

Anyway,
Ok, cleaned checked all connections, checked for shorted wires, worn/abraded wires. Found nothing wrong.

Replaced MSD coil with orginal Bosch Coil, installed my last Permatune Module.

Fired right up, nice steady low idle while cold, warned up, came up to normal idle, nice and steady. Pushed throttle linkage, rpms came up nice and smooth, ran perfectly.

All auxilary circuits working normally, charging, lights, instruments, etc.

In other words, except for the ignition modules dying, everything else checks out fine. I hate that, damn. Maybe it was just coincidence.

Anyone know where I can get the Bosch CD module checked/rebuilt, I know they can be rebuilt ? Left a message at Perma-tune to see if they rebuild them. It's going to be a while before I trust the thing and would like to carry a extra, just in case.

Just another day in paradise.

Don
Old 01-31-2007, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I bet if you plugged one of the other three CDI boxes in it would still start
Old 01-31-2007, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

SanDiegoDon

Just found a test procedure on the Permatune site, the CD Box failed. Tried plugging in the Bosch, no start, no spark.

Just a bad day for CD boxes

Don
Old 01-31-2007, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
If you have any Bosch boxes.....3 or 6 pin...send them to me.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to ischmitz
Don, let me know if you need help. I can test/rebuid these boxes: 3.6@cox.net

Ingo

(if you already sent an email please resend since I had trouble with my inbox)

I repair/rebuild Bosch CDI Boxes and Porsche Motronic DMEs
Porsche "Hammer" or Porsche PST2 - I can help!!
How about a NoBadDays DualChip for 964 or '95 993
Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
SanDiegoDon

Thanks, I replaced the CDI box yesterday with a Improved/rebuilt box from Capt Krusty and sent him the failed box. She's running sweet now.

Don
Old 02-06-2007, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: