Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Which shocks do you like??

I have a '75 914 2.0L that has 72k miles on the original shocks. I am planning on new springs and shocks but I have gotten conflicting advice. I use my car on the road only, no autocross, and I don't want a really harsh ride.
What thoughts do people have about Bilstein, KYB, and Koni shocks? My mechanic recommends KYB because he does not think that the Bilsteins are worth the cost. I have heard that Konis are hard riding. What is the consensus?
Old 08-30-1998, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to bonz
I have a set of KYB Gas-adjust shocks on my 74 2.0, and they seem to be very nice for a daily driver. They are resonably firm, but do not rattle any dental work when you go over bumps
Old 08-30-1998, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Does anyone else have an opnion on ther shocks they are using?

Old 09-11-1998, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Can't speak from experience but I know some of the shocks (Bilsteins maybe)have adjustable rear perches for the springs. This means with the adjustable front torsion bars you can raise (Yuch!) or lower your car to just about any height. Some of the more expensive Konis are also adjustable, however some use a knob on the top to adjust the vavling others have to be removed and turned.
Old 09-11-1998, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

We have Bilsteins on our 1974 914 and I like the adjustable spring mount in the rear. We also put 140 springs on the rear so it is a little stiff. On our 1987 Turbo we have Koni Sport Adjustables set soft on the street and I stiffen them up for track use. I don't know of any adjustable ones for a 914, but the Bilsteins are great.
Old 09-12-1998, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Koni Yellow Gas Sport shocks on my 74 2.0, all the way around. I still have my original kidneys--but just barely. ;^) No fillings rattled loose YET, but they're probably going to. Stock springs and torsion bars.

They're harsh, even on "soft" setting, but they hold the road nicely. Three-position adjustable perch on the rear, like the Bilstiens.

KYBs are a lot less expensive than Koni or Bilst. I hear they're reasonably good handling, a little harsh on the ride. If you're interested in softer shocks, maybe Boges would work for you.

Also try tall and/or soft side-walled tires. The Yoko A509 in 60-series (195/60-15) is relatively soft and cushy.

--DD
Old 09-14-1998, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Author of "101 Projects"

Let me vote for rear Bilsteins. Reasonably priced (relative to the Konis), and a great firm ride without making your rear view mirror fall off. You do have to slow down for speed bumps though. It's sometimes difficult to switch between the 914 and my Pathfinder because I take curbs, speedbumps, and small animals at full-speed in my truck.

140s on the rear too. That will give you a firm ride, and with the Bilsteins you can also adjust the height to exactly where you want it. I think that I have lowered them down to be even with the front, which is as low as you can go. (I guess I'm an honorary low-rider in my 914)

Just my two cents, for whatever it's worth.

Thanks guys,

Wayne
Old 09-15-1998, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ive recently replaced my front struts- I wanted Bilisteins but because Im a poor bastard I got the KYB gas shocks. I do not autocross and I drive my car to work everyday and find them quite good for what I use- a decent ride and handling for considerbly less price!
Old 09-16-1998, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Bogomili

I concur with Wayne and Brian. Using both KYB's and Bilstiens, I prefer the Bilstiens, especially since I have a yellow car (small detail)! I was quite happy with the KYB's, but I got an opportunity to get a set or used Bilstiens very reasonably and there is a great difference. Their stiffer, but not like driving a brick and they seem to maximize my tire adhesion. The adjustable rear is a terrific addition for ride height adj. KYB's are still great for the price, but given the choice, . . .go yellow!
Old 09-25-1998, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I got some front Bilsteins that came off a 911 S (organized to fit the alloy calipers). These are green. Now, I read about going "yellow" ! what is the difference between the green and the yellow Bilsteins ? I will need to find some rear schocks, does anybody have suggestions as to what I should get for the back ?
Old 09-28-1998, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: