Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New 914 Owner with Questions

Hey guys. Tonight I put a deposit on my first project car, a 1975 914 2.0. The car has 65,000 original miles with some surface rust and rot on the rear quarter.

The car has been sitting for 3 years without being cranked. Supposedly it ran before it was parked. My first concern is to get running so I can enjoy it a bit. What steps do you recommend on waking this sleeping car up?

I'm thinking change the oil, drain the old gas, new battery, plugs and wires. What else?

I look forward to all of your advice. I am very much over my head, so this will be a real learning experience.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Welcome to the board.

Yes, most things can be fixed. Sounds as if you are on the right path. Others may have more input to help you get it going. Use this board to get the used parts you need. Good luck
Old 02-11-2007, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
While the plugs are out put in a squirt of miracle oil in each cylinder before cranking it over.

Add chevron Techron to the fresh gas to help clean the fuel injectors.

Inspect all fuel and vacuum lines for wear and leaks.

Inspect all brake components (hoses) and change out brake fluid.

Remove rocker panels and cleanout all debris (look for rust)

Cleanout headlight and fog light buckets.

remove door panels and clean the bottom of the doors and clear all drain holes

Check the hiden areas in the motor compartment against the firewall all the way down and back as far as you can reach. There are drain holes and if they get plugged it will hold water.

Jack car up and remove the skid plate by stearing rack and brake master cylender, inspect, look for leaks and clean the area.
While car is jacked up spin tires to check wheel bearings.

Get a spray can of battery acid cleaner and clean battery area and install a battery matt.

Check ALL the ground cables (one on the transmission)

Clean fuse panel and replace any fuses that look suspect.

Purchase extra FUSES, RELAYS, BELTS, and I carry and extra clutch cable.

Thats a start!
Old 02-11-2007, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What are you planning to do with the car?

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 02-11-2007, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I just want a nice driver. Maybe a few modifications to the 2.0, but nothing that would affect overall driveability. So basically, restore the body and refreshen the mechanicals for now.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Tsunami's list is probably a good place to start.

With my car. I just started focusing on an area and working it. My hasn't sat for so long so you probably need to start with the engine and the brakes.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 02-12-2007, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

All the above comments are good. The only thing I would add is to jack the car up, support it with jackstands, and get underneath with a sharp pry bar and check for rust. Most important place to poke around (and poke HARD) is the area under the battery on the passenger side. This place is known as the "hell hole" because it is so famous for rusting out. And when it rusts out, your back wheels can literally fall off the car... seriously, I bought my 914 parts car because the suspension mounts rusted off. Rust is the #1 enemy of 914s.
Next, I would go out and buy some books on the 914 to get yourself more aquainted with the car, it will save you asking questions that "everybody knows." At the same time, don't be afraid to ask questions that "everybody knows," because you have to find out somehow! For example, somebody mentioned cleaning the contacts on the transmission ground strap... this is important to do, but might be difficult for a newcomer who doesn't know it is bolted from the top of the transmission to the bottom of the trunk floor and pretty much hidden from view unless you know it is there.
This board is a pretty friendly bunch and is always willing to help new owners become addicted to our hobby
My recommendation for some books to start would be:
Haynes Manual (not the best but cheaper than the factory manuals)
How to Restore and Modify your Porsche 914 and 914/6 by Patrick Paternie
914 Porsche: a restorers guide to authenticity by Dr. B Johnson
I found these to be pretty enjoyable to read. By far THE BEST resource I've found for 914s is this website, the board, and the tech articles. As 914s were my first introduction to vintage cars, I got spoiled, and have cursed the lack of support for my vintage motorcycle projects and interest in MGs...
Old 03-07-2007, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Adjust the valves before you run it.

New fuel filter and ALL the rubber fuel lines under the gas tank and in the engine compartment. Use the right hose clamps and good quality high pressure fuel hose.

Buy a fire extinguisher, keep it in the car.

Replace all the fuses, they are cheap and it is a good idea.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 03-08-2007, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: