Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Where to buy metal brake lines

I am starting to work on the brakes for my 914 project. I have not brake lines at all. Is it possible to buy the metal brake lines, not OEM? Or, should I make SS brake lines directly from the master cylinder to the calipers? What have others done in this situation? What is the benefit of the metal lines vs SS lines.
Saved by God, because I could not.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I Bought a set of hard lines from GPR for 40.00. I had to hand bend all the lines to the correct shape. You will need patterns to get the bends correct. Some of the lines in the kit were not the correct length, so I ended up using a couple of my old ones. The flexible SS lines should only be used where flexibility is needed, from the body to the suspension. The set of SS lines can be found at Pelican or GPR.
Rob
Old 02-15-2007, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
What is GPR's website?

Why shouldn't I us SS lines the whole way? It is because of then expanding under braking?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Besides the fact that braided stainless steel over flexible tubing will cost you a fortune (to do the whole car), the hard lines do not swell at all under pressure.
Would you use flexible pipes in your house? . I think a good rule is to only use flexible hydraulic lines where flexing will occur. That is the way all cars are manufactured.
Call GPR at 800-321-5432. Ask for Dave. Their Web site is very limited.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
You can buy hard brake lines at you local auto parts store. For my 911 and Karmann Ghia I used the 3/16" European flare in whichever length I needed. I would assume 914's use the same flare but I haven't gotten there yet with mine. Take in an old line and compare, but I'd bet it's the same. I think it cost like $20 to do the whole car.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenWater
Why shouldn't I us SS lines the whole way?
Hard lines are: Cheaper, lighter, less prone to failure, take up less space, and have zero probability of cutting through anything they touch.

The braided SS lines are more expensive, heavier, more prone to failure (not to say the odds of them failing are high, but the odds of the hard lines failing is much much smaller), take up more space in the somewhat-crowded center tunnel, and the steel braid can cut things that it rests on.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-15-2007, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
BK911,

Do you think a store like Autozone, or Pepe boys would have them?

Dave,

I was thinking about the space problem too. I remember there not being too much room down the center tube. That and the cost are probable my biggest factors. I will be going with the metal lines. Now I just have to find them.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
I got mine from autozone. Get in the zone!
Old 02-16-2007, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Does pelican not sell them?

If not our host, then you could try stoptech.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 02-17-2007, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: