Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Slow Crank??

I've just converted my 71 1.7 to carbs, I'm using 34 ICT webers. My question is it won't kick over, it has a very slow crank but thats it, then it drains my battery after a few turns. I've replaced the battery, voltage regulator, starter. What could be some possibilities? Also I put a mechanical fuel pump & replaced the stock dist with a 009 dist. By the I removed the big bore kit that was on with the stock pistons.
Old 09-25-1998, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Check Jim Thorusen's tech article about starter problems. You can find it in the Tech Articles section of this site.

Short answer: Connections; all of the + and all of the ground ones. If they're all there, clean, and tight, you may need a new starter. The "hot start" relay won't do a thing for this.

--DD
Old 09-28-1998, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If the engine cranked okay before you did the conversion stuff, then something you changed during the conversion to carbs is probably the troublemaker? The only thing I can see is the distributor as 009s have a fair amount of advance and if it was STUCK in the full or near full advance setting the engine would crank really hard. Test by pulling off the coil wire and if it cranks okay it is in the electrical connections/batt.
Old 09-28-1998, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
I'm going out on a limb here but...
Did you adjust the vavles while converting to carbs? Try taking out the plugs and see if it turns over faster, if it does then the vavles are adjusted wrong (of coarse the only way I would know this is if I did it myself once, VW engines don't turn over too well when you set the lash like a SBC). As DD said though my guess is something in the electrical system is unpluged or has built up resistence.
Old 09-29-1998, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: