Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

pressure plate bolts - what do they look like?

HI everyone

Getting ready to put the 914 engine back in the car.

Been reading some of the tech articles along the way.

Since I am at the point of putting the clutch and pressure plate back on, I was reading that tech article.

I noticed that the bolts I have for the pressure plate are different than the ones pictured in the article.

Mine are rather stout allen heads with a soft aluminum washer (not split). Thats what came off the car when I took it apart.

So my question is: Is there anything special about these bolts that I need to watch out for. They seem to thread in fine and seem to look the correct length, but who knows?

Thanks everyone, and have a great weekend!

Curt

Old 02-24-2007, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You should be alright. Just make sure they are the right length.
I installed a set that was too long, and it took me awhile to figure out why the pressure plate was rubbing on the throw out arm.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Soft aluminum washers DO NOT belong in there. Your allen bolts are fine. They should be 16mm + long. The cars came with split lock washers, but spring washers (new only) or even no washers will be fine. Torque the bolts to 18 ft/lbs.

The Cap'n
Old 02-27-2007, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Make sure the bolt heads are not too "tall". The disk can rub on the heads if the flywheel has been turned.

Jim
Old 02-28-2007, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I bvelieve you're speaking of the flywheel bolts. We're talking about the pressure plate bolts on the outer edge of the flywheel. The Cap'n
Old 02-28-2007, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yep, Your right. That will teach me to read a little closer.

Curt, Kindly Disreagrd my comments. I'll go back to sleep now.......

Jim
Old 02-28-2007, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all for the help. I feel much more confident now using what I have, though I will change out those aluminum washers for splits. I was worried about all this cause somewhere in the past I read about having to shave bolt heads down. But that was for the flywheel bolts as noted above.

It really helps to read the tech articles posted here on the Pelican site while putting all this stuff back together. Those articles dont let you forget anything. Been a big help too.

cap'n, you and I are neighbors, I am in Lompoc, probably just over the hill from you!

Take care all!

Curt

Last edited by Curt914; 02-28-2007 at 06:24 PM..
Old 02-28-2007, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yup. Right smack in the middle of exciting downtown Santa Maria! Stop by sometime! The Cap'n
Old 02-28-2007, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: