Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned for Life

Garage
Question How to stop taco plate, drip, drip, drip...?

As you probably are aware, I added BigMark's excellent quad gauge, but the car did not have a temp sender of the wiring. The car is a '71 with a 2.0 4 cylinder.

Anywho, adding the single wire from the dash, thru the tunnel was a time consuming PITA but at least it doesn't drip oil.

The only, 'my bad' I will confess to is reusing the crush washers, which may be part of the problem. Second, trying to apply an even amount of torque to the bolts is next to impossible. My torque wrench's lowest setting is 5 lbs and this is still too much. The rest of the case is dry, so I would like to keep it that way.

Besides new crush washers, any suggestions on how to effectively seal it? Any goo to apply to the bolts, or other goo to apply to the O-ring or? And how does one apply an equal amount of torque to the bolts - count each turn of the wrench? There must be a better way.

Thanks,
Rick
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 02-25-2007, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Dave, any suggestions?
Old 02-26-2007, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Stupid Question - What is the taco plate? I haven't figured out this particular piece of the lingo.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 02-26-2007, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It's the sump plate on the left-front of the bottom of the motor that is held on by two bolts. The theory is that, if you overtighten it, you can bend it into the shape of a taco shell...

All I can think of is a new O-ring, a new paper gasket between the inner plate and outer cover, and new crush washers. Plus a good paste O-ring lube (like the stuff that Anderson recommends for the oil return tubes on Sixes) for the big O-ring. And making sure the sealing surface in the case is smooth.

Any idea if the threads of the sender are leaking?

Heck, mine still drips. I should try more of these things to see if I can get it to stop...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-26-2007, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
I have gleaned a few ideas and will let you know what works....
Old 02-28-2007, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Ok, after receiving 100s of e-mails, phone calls, telegrams, and text messages, the trick involved thoroughly cleaning the "O" ring, the contact surface in the case, and the sender plate, I applied a small amount of clear silicone sealant RTF to all sealing surfaces, including the holes for the bolts. I was very careful to only use enough for the contact surfaces, and now it doesn't drip a drop - even after a 30 mile road test. The silicone is good to 400 degrees F and will not crack or shrink. Oh and the bolts, a 1/4 turn past finger tight. I also used a little extra on the outside surfaces where the mate for insurance.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: