Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Front Suspension Loose

The torsion bar adjuster lever is loose. Does anybody know how this is attached? The manuals I have doesn't show how they are attached in the diagrams.

I also have a sound like a tire rub when I turn the steering wheel. The tires have plenty of clearance.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Is the adjuster loose when the car is sitting on all 4 wheels or when you lift that corner?
There is supposed to me a felt piece behind the adjuster up against the tube. Suppose to keep it from getting dirty. I've never seen one.

Are there marks on the tires? may have to take them off to see. If your suspension is soft and your car is too low the body will rub in hard corner when suspension compresses.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The adjuster is loose (wobbles by hand) when the car is up and tight when it's down. Pressure from the torsion is making it tight. I'm guessing it's held on by a circlip.

The noise can't be tire rub, I hear it while at a roll and while turning the steering wheel. There is no noise when cornering hard or at full lock.

The suspension is a 911 conversion with a welmeister bump steer, done over 6 years ago. The only recent work done to the front suspension was a new set of tires and a wheel alignment.

Last edited by speedemon666; 02-27-2007 at 07:43 PM..
Old 02-27-2007, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
No cir-clip to keep adjuster on. However the splines on the torsion bar should be tight enough to firmly hold the adjuster on without any wobble. Mine need a slight tap with a hammer to get on. If you need a new one I probably got another extra.

Wheel bearings? or steering shaft is rubbing somewhere. you know there is a bearing on the body under the gas tank. Steering shaft u-joints getting loose?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the help Joe.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Did you figure out what you need?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I just came in from the garage.

The steering coupling (Haynes, Fig. 7.12 item 25) is slightly binding, just enough to make some noise but no tension in the steering feel.

Wheel bearings sound/feel smooth.

I gave a tap on the adjuster with some wood and hammer but it's still loose.

For now I can live with it with the way it is. I'll tear into it when I rebuild the engine this year.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: