Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest targa tops

this is a bit of a lame question, but one i have not heard of a good answer to. what is a good polish/cleaner for the targa top of the 914. shoe polish does work, but with the sunlight fades out fast (but does work on the sails), and since i do go to the local shows, i like my car to clean, especially once i get a new paint job.

so, anyone know of any good products for the tops? thanks
Old 03-01-2007, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I haven't tried it on the top, but there is a product called Back to Black. If you try it, let us know how well it worked out.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
If you have decent rattle can skills, you can go with a satin-black finish. Just be sure to apply many light coats. Be patient and take a few hours and you will be rewarded. First clean the existing top thoroughly with lacquer-thinner (wear good gloves and good ventilation).
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 03-06-2007, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Black shoe polish, or that is what George at AA suggests in his book have not tried it yet.

Back to Black works better on bumper covers. Take a scotch pad and simple green to clean them up, then dothe B to B. Tried it on the top and it sort of sucked.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

well, i do use show polish for the vinyl sails and the top, and tire polish for the top rubber strips on the bumpers, and they all work preety well. But, because the top gets more exposed sunlight than the rest of the car, the polish fades out a bit fast. also, my tops are in good enough shape that painting it would detract from its orginal look and i think it would look cheesy on my top. The polish is my sort ofpath, but wanted to know if there was something that will last alittle bit longer.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

ohh, and if someone suggests the tire cleaner (like i use on the bumber tops), ive done it. hers how it went. the first like week you apply it, you see all the bracing for the top, but is pretty clean, but kinda wierd, and when you wash your car, it looks good, then after that it just goes downhill. shoepolish is the best so far, but fades out fast. i also have asked this question becasue i know others who dont know a good product for them, and they, like me, do not want to paint thier tops becasue they are just clean enough that it would be a waste
Old 03-09-2007, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: