Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question suspension upgrade-what to do?

1975 chassis and I am converting the front struts to 1972 911T with housings,inserts,hubs and brakes. While I'm in there I'll do turbo tie rods,balljoints etc. I'm keeping the 914 A arms but I'm thinking of bumping up the torsion bars? Car will be street driver,autocross and maybe a DE or two each year. So what size torsion bars to go with? I see the difference between solid and hollow on this site is only about $30.00 or so, is the hollow worth it? The car currently does not have any sway bars should I consider at least a front bar? I kinda like the 911 under body sway bars as they are cheap and easy to install, I can weld the u-tabs on myself so is a 911 front sway bar O.K.? Or should I go "thru body"? I will probably do Elephant Racing poly bronze bushings also. Did I forget anything? Oh I will be running Fuchs in 16x7 + 16x8 with 205/55 + 245/45 tires under metal GT flares. Thanks guys
Old 03-03-2007, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The key to good suspension is adjustibility. The under car 911 sway bar isn't adjustable, IIRC

As to Torsion bars, the first upgrade from stock (17.sumthin mm) is clear to 21mm. ...a big jump and not too shiney for a street used car. Also, one needs to balance the rear springs to the fronts......the 21s need 200+ pounds in the rear.

A good set up for a combo car is stock front T bars, 19mm adjustable (thru the body) anti roll bar & 140 pound rears....preferably on adjustable perches.

It's a slippery slope.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
IMHO, the hollow bars aren't worth it. They only lose a minuscule amount of weight, and it's way down low where it's not that harmful.

Front sway bar: YES. Through-body, preferably; the geometry is better and it's easier to make adjustable.

Uprated torsion bars? Not for me personally, but I know people who have 'em and love 'em--with the rest of the suspension upgraded as well, of course.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-03-2007, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just like what JP was saying, I have stock front t bars, roll bar, and 140# rear springs.

I cannot imagine being able to stand much more with the roads where I live.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 03-03-2007, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Well you guys are saving me some money and that's a good thing! Looks like I'll stay with stock torsion bars with Elephant Racing polybronze bushings and go with a thru body sway bar. I knew I was going to have to upgrade the rear just didn't know to what, the suggestion on 140# springs is a big help. My rear shocks have BEP stamped on them is that a brand? Are they worth keeping or should I look for some Bilsteins? I have seen after market spring perches that fit Bilsteins and are adjustable I like the idea of that adjustability. What brands of sway bar are good? Thanks guys
Old 03-04-2007, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The only 19mm AR bar I know of is the Weltmeister...not a bad rig & relatively cheep. I used one for a couple years.
You *can* get into a binding problem at the A arm attach point, so keep an eye on it.
Do you have the U tabs on the top of your A arms for the downlinkmounts? Upper part of pic. .....
Old 03-04-2007, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Sway Bar brands are Weltmeiser, Tarret and Hmmm can't remember anyothers worth a hoot.
I just looked and PP sells both..the Tarret is really nice but $$$$. Did I say really nice as it might be worth the extra $200 over the Weltmeiser.

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 03-04-2007, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I ran the 19mm bar at full soft with the above set-up.

The Tarret rig is 22mm...nice tho, I use one now days, but my streetable suspension is just a memory.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have the weltmeister bar up front and koni adjustable shocks. I would like to start playing with the shock adjustments a little, but I don't have any issues now.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 03-04-2007, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: