Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

tierod removal

The easy part is done - removing the ball joint at the wheel. I Does anyone know how the other end comes off? I thought it was just screwed in because the turbo tierod I have is threaded at that end. I removed everything else and using several different tools tried turning the forked joint CCW. It turns, but it doesn't come out! Being cautious by nature I thought I would stop until I understood the problem better. I have a tierod wrench from Pelican that I don't know how to use at this stage. It will grip one side of the bellows holder, but that doesn't come off. Anyone done this?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ws91420 Send a message via Yahoo to ws91420
Slide back the boot and get a wrench on the part underneath right near th rack housing. May take some effort these are 30+ year old cars.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Doesn't the "hook" part of the wrench hook onto the slots that you can see in your first picture? (I'm not sure, as I haven't done the job myself.)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-06-2007, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes the wrench does grip the bellows holder on the other side from the tierod. I can only grip it one way, to give a CCW turn, and it doesn't budge. Does the bellows holder act as a lock on the tierod end? The replacement tierod just has a threaded end so I would expect that the tierod just unscrews.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ws91420 Send a message via Yahoo to ws91420
It just unscrews. I did mine with my car on a lift. Use something to lengthen the tool to get more leverage.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

WS91420: Are you saying the bellows holder just unscrews? I don't understand why the bellows holder has to come off. It looks like it is swaged onto the steering arm and is not meant to be removed. I put on some gloves and tried using the wrench I got from Pelican again. It has sharp edges, which limits how much force I can apply. So far all I've been able to do is just tear junks of soft metal out of the bellows holder with this tool.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Success!!

Earlier I was turning the fork CW and it was almost screwed in all the way, so I thought it wasn't coming out. After turning it CCW several rotations the threads are beginning to show. As to the bellows holder: I think it's swaged on and there is no reason to remove it anyway. Thanks for the suggestions. I hope my experience helps someone later on.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

A correction

After I removed the tierod end I found the bellows holder is threaded and acts as a lock nut on the tierod. Its made of aluminum so it isn't the first thing you want to try turning to remove the tierod. I used a long screwdriver, vicegrip pliers, and a wrench to turn the fork. Eventually the bellows holder came free, without having to use the hooked wrench.

Last edited by zen-in; 03-06-2007 at 09:06 PM..
Old 03-06-2007, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Good job
Won't need none of that hardware for the new one.
Turbo rods have a boot that goes over all that mess onto the rack housing

Some people use use the special thin wrench to tighten up the new one. I just use a pipe wrench.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: