Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 1.7 4 carbs- spitting gas and exhaust from carb?

so I bought this 914 today that runs kind of ruff. I decided to take of all air-filters and cylinder number 3 is spitting up air and fuel.
What could be the problem? All the other carbs are fine and on occasion the car will backfire.
I tried using the search with no luck, Someone please help.

I am new to carburator cars. Sorry.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

have you done a valve job?

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 03-11-2007, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

valve job was done 1000 miles ago
Old 03-11-2007, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Also noticed that the gasket between the downtube and the carburator is wet. and is only wet on this one cylinder.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Downtube == manifold? Or is it above the carb?

Spitting up air and fuel sounds a lot like a valve problem. Do a compression test and see if that cylinder has significantly worse numbers than the rest. If so, you've got some $$$ you're gonna have to spend.

Check for vacuum leaks, too. Carbs dislike 'em, not as much as L-jet does, but they definitely don't like 'em!!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-11-2007, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

the leak is in between the carb and the tube that goes into the engine (intake tube)
Old 03-11-2007, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

An air leak there could cause backfires due to a lean condition. This is kind of like an air leak in a CIS system.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 03-11-2007, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonyzp007
the leak is in between the carb and the tube that goes into the engine (intake tube)
That would be AKA the manifold. Definite leak there; definitely not good...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-11-2007, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

make sure you are not smoking a cigarette when you are leaning over the engine bay.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 03-11-2007, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Start my tighting all the carb and MANIFOLD mounting bolts and nuts.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 03-12-2007, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

first. the intake studs require very little torque. the haynes calls for 4.35 lbs (don't know how correct that is) and the cb books wants 18. if you're using a cut washer under the nuts you're prob exceeding those #s. i use the same locking washers used on the cv joint bolts for the manifold studs and the carb to intake studs. tighten everything down in equal stepped increments.

a bit more info (what brand of carbs) and a couple of pictures will help us. you should buy the weber book published by CB performance and a syncronometer. you will need both.

k
Old 03-28-2007, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Brother
make sure you are not smoking a cigarette when you are leaning over the engine bay.
and have a fire extinguisher handy
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 03-28-2007, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
So why hasn't anyone just told him to clean the idle jets.

GEEZ I just went through this today with a red 914.
3 of 4 jets were partially plugged.

Ran like a champ after some CARB TLC.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: