Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914-6 "conversion"...$6500 a good deal?

Someone is offering me a 1971 914 conversion (has a rebuilt/low-mile 2.7 six professionally installed). I'm not familiar with the injection system...it has six individual stacks, black in color (definitely not carbs). Car is assembled (all there) but hasn't been run in 3 yrs. Ran perfect before that. Seller is a friend, so I have no doubt he's telling the truth about running condition. Body is immaculate. Not a speck of rust anywhere. Paint needs some touch-up, but overall I'd consider paint 9 out of 10. Car needs some "nickle & dime" stuff (carpet, small hole in driver's seat, front bumper torn), etc. He also is throwing in a "side shifter" transaxle (?) with all linkage, etc.

I can have the car for $6500. Deal or no deal?

Also (and this may be subject to a separate thread), what's involved in ressurecting a motor that hasn't been started in three years?

Many thanks,

D. Ocean
Old 03-18-2007, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

sounds good from description.

if your able to get it running for a grand. at minimum it should be worth 10K
Old 03-18-2007, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Worth $10k even though it's a "counterfeit" 914-6?
Old 03-18-2007, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
There is no such thing as a "counterfeit" or "fake" six. There are "original" sixes, and "conversions". Original ones are worth more money when they are totally original. Conversion cars seem to vary in value by how fast they go.

You could get $10K pretty easily with a 2.7 Six conversion that's in good running condition.

Six separate stacks, but not carbs. Sounds like MFI to me. The only 2.7 motors that used MFI were in the 2.7 liter Carrera RS cars, homologation specials that sold a lot more than anticipated. They were not US-legal, but some have made their way over here through the years.

Could be something cobbled-up from a 2.4 liter MFI system, adapted to some extent to the 2.7 motor. Could be real RS parts, though in that case the owner would likely want a mint for just those. Most likely it's a US-spec 2.7 motor (low compression, mild cams) possibly with some updates (cams, maybe compression, maybe other stuff) and a "re-mapped" MFI system.

Other details will influence the value--does it have stock four-lug wheels and stock solid-rotor brakes? Vented rotors? Suspension upgrades? Flares? Wheels/tires? ...And so on....

If it really needs very little work, $6500 is probably a very good deal. But it may need a lot more than it looks at first.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-18-2007, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave at Pelican Parts
There is no such thing as a "counterfeit" or "fake" six. There are "original" sixes, and "conversions". Original ones are worth more money when they are totally original. Conversion cars seem to vary in value by how fast they go.

You could get $10K pretty easily with a 2.7 Six conversion that's in good running condition.

Six separate stacks, but not carbs. Sounds like MFI to me. The only 2.7 motors that used MFI were in the 2.7 liter Carrera RS cars, homologation specials that sold a lot more than anticipated. They were not US-legal, but some have made their way over here through the years.

Could be something cobbled-up from a 2.4 liter MFI system, adapted to some extent to the 2.7 motor. Could be real RS parts, though in that case the owner would likely want a mint for just those. Most likely it's a US-spec 2.7 motor (low compression, mild cams) possibly with some updates (cams, maybe compression, maybe other stuff) and a "re-mapped" MFI system.

Other details will influence the value--does it have stock four-lug wheels and stock solid-rotor brakes? Vented rotors? Suspension upgrades? Flares? Wheels/tires? ...And so on....

If it really needs very little work, $6500 is probably a very good deal. But it may need a lot more than it looks at first.

--DD
Sorry...I used the word "counterfeit" for the lack of a better term. "Conversion" sounds much better.

The owner is not a Porsche-guy. He doesn't know much about the car. He purchased it three years ago from someone who needed $$$ in a hurry. He tells me he paid $5500. I'm only assuming this motor is a 2.7. Could it be a 2.4 based on the "MFI" stacks I described? Previous owner told him the motor was from 1978. That would make it a 3.0 (?), but it doesn't look like a 3.0 to me. I guess it's time to look for some numbers.

Last edited by Danny_Ocean; 03-18-2007 at 06:25 PM..
Old 03-18-2007, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
6,500 is a killer deal..... it sounds like a nice car with all of the goodies an original six doesn't have.

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 03-18-2007, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

it would/could sell for 15K with MFI and a clean body.
(In fact it could sell for over 20 depending upon how clean it is and how well it was converted)
4 gallons of gas
and 1826 lbs (wet)
Old 03-18-2007, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The car looks bone stock. Looking into the engine compartment, it looks like it was made that way.

So...consensus is: Buy it?!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If I were looking for a Six conversion project to finish, I would definitely consider it... Just do some real thinking about what the car actually needs, not what the seller says it needs.

You can poke through our "914-6 conversion guide" to get some idea of what-all would need to be done, and judge that against what has already been done in that car and how.

And check the regular hidden areas for rust!! Jack points, suspension console, "hell hole" in front of and below the battery, and so on. Serious rust can hide there and not be visible at first look.

--DD

Old 03-18-2007, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

If the car is in SoCal I can help you look through it for an inspection. I know many fellas much smarter than me on 914s that would also be willing to help you look at this car.

You can ask for help from the folks here to come over and inspect it with you. No matter where you are.

You can also ask for help over at www.914world.com
I am pretty dam sure you will get help with this purchase.
Primarily because many of us love these little cars. And we like to see them get back on the road.

Cheers,

Clayton
Old 03-19-2007, 12:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Danny_Ocean
I'm only assuming this motor is a 2.7. Could it be a 2.4 based on the "MFI" stacks I described?
Yes, it's possible.

BTW, the "side shifter" transmission is the 1973+ transmission. The linkage goes into the side of the transmission, rather than into the tail cover like on the 70-72 transmissions. The linkage is shorter and has fewer direction changes, which makes for less slop and fewer wear-prone bushings. (Not to say there are "few" bushings, just less than the early linkage.)

--DD

Old 03-19-2007, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Car is in SoFLA. I think I'll do a little more homework as to engine #'s and then make an offer.

Thanks all.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

if it's a 3.0 it has carbs on it. if it's a 2.7 it has carbs on it too (it's not going to be an RS MFI engine, trust me).

Carbs and MFI stacks on a 911 engine look very similar to most people.

Carbs:

Old 03-20-2007, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

$6500.00 sounds like a good price but keep in mind if it hasn't run for 3 years AND it wasn't stored properly it will take some work to get it running/driving correctly. Fuel system may have to be disassembled and cleaned including the tank and replace all filters. The brake system may be rusty/stuck and there is $$$ associated with getting that fixed. Battery and electrical system may need replacement/cleaning to get it all up to snuff. These items would not scare me off but you should be aware of what you might have to do when making a offer. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
The guy paid 5500 and it hasn't run for three years and NOW he wants 6500?

Ahem, MY first reaction is do you get kissed?

My second reaction is to take a HARD look at it, negotiate a bit, discuss and then offer him 5......

Does it have five lug wheels? Is there rust?

Be careful.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by the
if it's a 3.0 it has carbs on it. if it's a 2.7 it has carbs on it too (it's not going to be an RS MFI engine, trust me).

Carbs and MFI stacks on a 911 engine look very similar to most people.
It's definitely injection. There are injection lines running to the stacks. And, the stacks are individual units, not "lumped together" like carbs.

Just not sure what motor it is...?

Last edited by Danny_Ocean; 03-22-2007 at 08:19 PM..
Old 03-22-2007, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by mikez
The guy paid 5500 and it hasn't run for three years and NOW he wants 6500?

Ahem, MY first reaction is do you get kissed?

My second reaction is to take a HARD look at it, negotiate a bit, discuss and then offer him 5......

Does it have five lug wheels? Is there rust?

Be careful.

Are 914-6 conversions worth more today than they were three years ago? No, I will not be kissing the seller, nor will he be kissing me.

Wheels are 4 lug. Absolutely no rust anywhere. Car is very clean, very original and the conversion looks like it was done correctly.

I'm always careful!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by rfuerst911sc
$6500.00 sounds like a good price but keep in mind if it hasn't run for 3 years AND it wasn't stored properly it will take some work to get it running/driving correctly. Fuel system may have to be disassembled and cleaned including the tank and replace all filters. The brake system may be rusty/stuck and there is $$$ associated with getting that fixed. Battery and electrical system may need replacement/cleaning to get it all up to snuff. These items would not scare me off but you should be aware of what you might have to do when making a offer. Good luck.
Yeah, I realize it will need some resurrecting. He has offered to give me the car and, after/if I get it running, then I can pay him. If I can't get it running, or it will cost more than I want to spend, no deal. He get's the car back and I'm out some time in the shop.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Injection units look kinda like this (without the velocity stacks):

Old 03-22-2007, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jim912928
take it!
58 Triumph TR3A
07 Harley Night Rod Special, 08 buell 1125R, 08 Harley CVO Springer, 09 Harley Iron
Old 03-23-2007, 02:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: