Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Instaling Turbo Tie Rod's

I started installing the kit today and of course was not sure what to do with the larger metal spacers that came with the kit.

Searching the forum I see several people reference the metal spacer and that they forgot to install it and have not had any issues to date.

My question is what is the purpose of the metal spacer? Is it only required under certain circumstances?

I assume that they both are intended to be installed between the rack and the new rod arm.

Last edited by 356Fan; 03-24-2007 at 06:48 PM..
Old 03-24-2007, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Just did it

The previous owner of my '70 914 installed a turbo tierod on the left side and I found another tierod, spacer and bellows in with the parts that came with the car. after removing the right side tierod I found that if the old bellows holder and spacer are installed on the new turbo tierod, there is 10 mm of thread inside the steering arm compared to 20 mm originally. The only purpose of the old bellows holder is to act as a thread lock. The spacer is so you can get the wrench on the tierod, when the old bellows holder is installed. If you don't have a new set of bellows then I guess you would have to use the old bellows holder, but the ball joint at the steering arm end would not be covered. So I removed the left side turbo tierod and put it back on without the old bellows holder and spacer, using blue Loktite. I think the old bellows holder would eventually cut thru the new bellows if it were used.

Last edited by zen-in; 03-24-2007 at 11:49 AM..
Old 03-24-2007, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

So it sounds as if I dont need it but looking at the old bellows holder I see that it takes up that same space. Thanks for the response.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I have spacers on my 70 car. Works fine.
Later cars are said to not be able to use spacers for some reason.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Ok, I put them in and dont see a reason they should not be there so there they will stay.

Thanks for the responses
Old 03-25-2007, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: