Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
My car just Dies!!!

This one has me stumped.
Has died on me twice.
First time car was warm had been running for 20 minutes or so going down the road rpms at 3,300 and the car dies. No sputtering just dies coast to a stop. After about 3 minutes or so and a few attempts to start she fires back up.
This morning it happended again I was at 3,00 rpms had only been running for ten minutes then it died.
Any Clues? Or what I should first look at?
Thanks Tim.
2012 Cayenne S
Old 03-28-2007, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
FI or carbs? Maybe a clogged fuel filter or line out of tank. If it is 1.8 with injection it could be an air leak. AFC injection will sometimes give problems like this if it has air leak. Causes the car to run lean and get hot. Is fuel pump running when this happens? You should be able to hear it, turn key off then on and pump will run for a few seconds
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 03-28-2007, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry I forgot the stats.
1.7 with the stock fuel injection.
Just replaced the fuel filter last week.
Most definatly hear the fuel pump turn on whe I turn over the key.
Would an air leak be where the fuel hose goes into the fuel injector to make it lean out?
2012 Cayenne S
Old 03-28-2007, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
Bad contact in the plug from the wiring harness to your fuel pump. I had a similar issue years ago. Makes sense as you just recently were in this area changing your filter. Pull the plug from the pump, check to make sure the wires that go into the plug are in good condition, and aren't on the edge of breaking. Clean the plug and the socket on the pump with contact cleaner spray, then clean the contact blades in the pump's socket with a corrosion inhibiter like Caig's DeOxIt.

Another thing to check for is fuel line constriction....
Old 03-28-2007, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Going to go through the wiring harness to the fuel pump, and plug into the the pump as well.
The event has only happened twice so I hope this will do it.
Fuel line restriction will be the next thing I look into if this does not solve the prooblem.
Will report back when work is done I hope not too tho...
Thanks.
2012 Cayenne S
Old 03-28-2007, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
You have D jet, not L jet(what I was thinking about.)
Second the idea about maybe doing something unintended when fuel filter changed.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 03-28-2007, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I had a similar problem years ago, it turned out to be a pluged fuel tank vent. The vent line that feeds air up by the filler neck was pinched off. - A definate long shot but just maybe.
66 912 in pieces
Old 03-28-2007, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by captjm
I had a similar problem years ago, it turned out to be a pluged fuel tank vent. The vent line that feeds air up by the filler neck was pinched off. - A definate long shot but just maybe.
Interesting.
Easy one to check try that out tonight, and I never thought of it, or had any idea. Thanks.
If all goes well the first drive will be tonight, and hopefully the probelm will be solved.
Tim.
2012 Cayenne S
Old 03-29-2007, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Another thought might be a short in the ignition coil . The coil does get hot sitting on top of the engine and can be affected by heat.
66 912 in pieces
Old 03-29-2007, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Have had that happen too... Only time that old bug stranded me, after 14 years and 200,000 miles, fried ignition coil.
Milton Friedman
Old 03-29-2007, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
It could also possibly be this:

Which goes here:

And caused by this:

Fuel tank strainer. Around 8 bucks to fix, plus new fiber ring gasket.

Kinda glad it happened because both fittings were leaking prior to cut-out problem

Last edited by Conrad W Peden; 03-29-2007 at 11:59 PM..
Old 03-29-2007, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Should look like this:

Old 03-29-2007, 11:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
My strainer sock was a mess, too, just had it replaced recently. Yet another hidden problem part in these crazy cars.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by captjm
Another thought might be a short in the ignition coil . The coil does get hot sitting on top of the engine and can be affected by heat.
My old VW had this problem. But the last time it died it had only been running for 10 minutes.
Going to try putting on a new fuel pump relay.
and look into the fuel pump strainer
Have not driven it because the oil return tubes were leakiing bad so replacment of those became a priority. If all goes right I will be driving it around on Tuesday night.
So by then we will see it it dies again.
Thanks guys, and I will update very soon if this helped or not.
Tim.
2012 Cayenne S
Old 04-02-2007, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I had this happen to me a few years back. Lost a spark plug wire which made it clunky at 55 mph, then lost another which made it die. Didn't realize what was going on that day until it died. Saw some loose wires and fixed them and then searched for a Kragens. Got it started and changed wires in a Kragen parking lot. Ran smooth and never died on the way back.

1974 914/4 2.0
2006 Hummer H3
2005 Dakota
Old 04-04-2007, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Ok Car up and running. Fixed? I will not know for a few more miles...

Here is what I did.
Checked all plugs into the fuel pump.
Checked for fuel leaks while I was in there. Found #1 & #2 injectors hoses without hose clamps so they had small leaks, fixed with new clamps.
found another hose that had a leak in the system fixed that as well.
I don't know if these would have any affect on the dying but that job is done.
Then I tapped around next to the fuse relays and when the Fuel pump relay was tapped on the engine started to stumble.
replaced the relay $ 20.00 part through Pelican, it drove very well last night. I hope it is fixed..
from what I have been told the fuel inection is very sensitve to leaks.
going through all the old hoses will be my next project.
Thanks for the hints and tips and future projects.
tim.
2012 Cayenne S
Old 04-05-2007, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
OK I lied.....
It is still dying on me.
The fuel pump relay helped the fuel pump not cut off when driving.
Here is what it is doing now.
Starts up fine when cold.
After the car is warmed up and I shut it down then try to turn back on the fuel pump does not kick on. wait a bit then it usually will kick in the fuel pump that is. then it starts up fine.
I think I have a cracked fuse board where the fuel pump relay is located contacts fine when cold but expand when warm.
Is this board hard to find?
Or has anyone hard wired from the fuel pump relay to the pump directly skipping the circuits on the fuse board?
2012 Cayenne S
Old 04-13-2007, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

The next time it quits can you check if you have voltage to the pump with a volt/ohm meter. Also you may want to install a fuel presure meter in line before the injectors. I have one I use to tap into a test port on the fuel injector rail. My neighbor put one in his jag full time install. fuel, spark should run.
66 912 in pieces
Old 04-13-2007, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: