Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rear brake caliper? Oh No!

I am doing the dreaded rear caliper pad replacement. I removed the pins, springs, pads and lock nut on adjuster. While turning the outer adjuster clockwise and pushing on the piston there is no movement of the piston and the adjuster is starting to LEAK brake fluid (WTF).

I think the adjuster on the outside isn't removable or repairable?
Is my caliper trashed? I think I will remove the caliper to access the inside adjuster insted of doing the blind through the hole in the trailing arm thing.

Any insights on the leaking fluid??
Old 03-28-2007, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Push the piston back with a suitable (wooden) pry bar, and tighten the jam nut on the adjuster again. I do not believe that a leak in this area is critical.

However, you should pay attention to your brakes (look for leaks periodically, notice the pedal feel, etc.) just in case I'm wrong...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-28-2007, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
there is a guy who does rebuilds on them. Pretty reasonable and the ones I saw were beautiful, looked like new.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 03-29-2007, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I know what happened.
Really pretty simple. Inside the caliper.

The piston has an adjuster which screws into it and is retained by a spring. What happened is the spring popped out of it's hole.

Unfortunately you need to pull the piston out to fix it. and a new seal is a good idea.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

A leaking adjuster is an indication the O-ring needs replacing. In an
emergency, just tightening it up again should stop the leak , but that
is no guarantee. Rebuilding the calipers would be a good idea, or you
can get them professionally rebuild for a decent price. I rebuild lots
of them, and it is a tricky process, not really for the average backyard
mechanic. The caliper is certainly not trash, just needs some TLC. If
the calipers have never been rebuilt before, it is a very good idea to
do so. No telling how much crap is in there. Then they will be good for
another 30 years. I would remove the caliper before tackling the inside
adjuster. Don't lose the adjuster gear, and remember, the inner adjuster
works backward because of the extra gear. The venting clearance is half
of what the usual literature states; somebody goofed 40 years ago, and
the error has been propagated as the truth ever since.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Don't know if I am supposed to link to other sites, but check this out. $225 pair plus cores. They are beautifully done, have not bought mine yet, but will

Eric Shea Brake Caliper
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 03-29-2007, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

SanDiegoDon

I had all 4 of my stock 914-6 calipers restored by Eric, bueatiful work. Cost just a bit over $500. He's the only one I was able to find who restores to original specs, especially the rear 6 calipers.

Send to him, you won't regret it, superb work/quality, fast turn around.

Good Luck, Don
Old 03-31-2007, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I have placed an order with Eric for a pair of rear calipers. I have been told I must remove the gears from my calipers to install in the reconditioned ones. Where are these gears? and How do I remove them? Do I have to remove the pistons to get to the gears? My calipers are not in great shape. Each caliper has a frozen piston. If these mystery gears are not any good where can I get them?
Old 03-31-2007, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You do not have to remove the pistons. The gears are in the back adjuster hole. Remove the cover to get at it. The original cover is circular with an Allen key hole in the center (4mm). You may need to use a chisel to remove the cover, but first try tapping with a hammer and using a torch for heat. Perhaps alternate heat and tapping a few times. Be sure to clean the Allen key hole. If it is stripped out, or you can't get it to turn, then resort to the chisel (and wear safety glasses). Use the 4mm Allen key to remove the gear. These have often been lost, so Eric and I ask owners to remove and keep theirs to save blame if they are missing. We can often sell you the adjuster parts if they are missing or damaged. These parts are not included under the standard reconditioning price.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Recieved my rear calipers from Eric today. They have a beautiful zinc finish. Not paint but the real deal. The installation went very smooth. I set the vent and bled the brakes tonight and will let it set overnight and then blead again Friday. After a spirited test drive I will check the vent and probably bleed again and that should do it. I hope to be ready for the next PCA auto-X at Portland International Raceway!!!

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions and a special thanks to Eric at PMB for a great product, service and support.

Craig
Old 04-05-2007, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: